SCKLM '10: "We told you so"

If I were given a chance to turn back the time to 4:55am on Sunday morning, I may have opted out of the race.  But knowing that I eventually completed it, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Shoes belonged to the runners in the family.

It started drizzling as we left the house.  It poured even heavier a few minutes before the start of the run.

I was keeping it at a steady pace from the start, but I guess you couldn't stop the inevitable.  Somewhere around the 10-11KM point, the nagging knee pain had surfaced.  Aarggh!  I was expecting it.  I was ready for it.  Kind of.  Not this early, tho'.  All I wanted was to complete the race.  In a way, it was a much needed closure to the weeks and weeks of training.  The thought of DNF played in my mind, but I was adamant to finish the run.  At that point, I didn't care about the finisher's medal and t-shirt.  I just wanted to finish.
    

The sight of the 6:00Hr pacers (and balloon) passing you by at the 17KM mark was disheartening. Especially when the junction to your house was right there - next to PGRM (the tall building on the right).

At the 3-hour mark, I was still at the 22KM point.  That meant I only had another 3 hours to do another 20 if I were cross the finish line before the clock struck 6 hours.  In the front 21, I had at least ran for 10K.  If I were to do a 10min-per-KM walk, that would translate to a 6:20 finishing time.  I had to be content with that.  A far better incentive than a DNF.

Yes, it is!

This was also the place where I was passed by this one uncle.  The volume of his mp3 player was so loud, that I could hear Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" was blasting through his headsets.  I wonder if he had borrowed that from his kid.  *lol*

The route split into a Full Marathon-only path at the twin towers junction.  Marathon runners were scarce by this time.

Some impatient drivers going into the runners' path of the road.

I couldn't help but to record this short clip at the 25KM point to kill time.


At every medical station, without hesitation, I rubbed any sort of medication that they could offer on my knee, including this cream with a hint of pink.  Perhaps all those ointments formed some sort of concoction that the pain had subsided a couple of notches after the Jalan Pahang roundabout.  Perhaps my knee grew tired of me not wanting to stop. Perhaps it was the cheerleaders who cheered "Go runners!" while forming the Mexican waves with their pompoms.  :D



Whatever it was, alhamdulillah I was able to pick up the pace along Jalan Ipoh. 




Bumped into the Singapore Blade Runner as I was reaching the Segambut roundabout. Oh wait, what's that red blob up ahead?


It's the 6:00HR pacer balloon!  I caught up to it at the 35KM mark.  Boy, it was such a welcoming sight!

With 5 more kilometers to go, I made a mental calculation that it was even possible to do a PB.  However, I suffered another setback just as I was attacking the Bukit Tunku hill.  Cramps on my calve muscles.  Ouch!  I was then reduced to power walks and slow jogs. :(


41KM - A next-to-impossible goal a few hours ago.


The last stretch to Dataran Merdeka (Merdeka Square) was the final mental vs physical battle.  Right on cue, my knee pain doubled.  Spurred on by the cheers of those on the sides, it inspired me to finish strong (read: jog and not walk.  hehe).
 

[I'll insert the jog-to-the-finish-line picture here later, if anyone had cared to take it. hehehe]
most of pictures on marathon-photos.com are of me wincing :D


I was 7 minutes outside of my Putrajaya time.  But due to the circumstances,  I couldn't ask for anything else.  It's my PB (with injury), if you please.  :D
 

Watching the race route video again, I can't help but to say it was that far.  Now, I can proudly say "Been there. Done that. Pain and all".


Between now and Ramadhan (fasting month), I've only signed up for Shape Run which is slated at July end.  Enough time for me to be well rested.  Nonetheless, I shouldn't shy away from the running events, even though it means that I'm reduced to a spectator or supporter role.

I can't be thankful enough to the words of encouragement or actions from those who gave their support along the course, directly and indirectly.  From the cheerleaders to the mat saleh donning the Energizer Run marathon finisher T who clapped and shouted "You're doing good. Don't give up".  From another mat saleh sitting on the sidewalk near the Weld who uttered "Stay strong" to fellow runners who said "Come, let's run to the finish line" and "Seminit je lagi (just one more minute)".


Here's to the next full marathon!  For the time being, I can't help but to blurt out "Ta Teh!" when I walk.  It's like learning how to walk all over again.  Except it hurts this time.  :D


Comments

  1. atuk, you did finish with determination and that is what counts ok. i ran my first full marathon yesterday and i can truly understand that respectful 42km. i nearly gave up meself. so dont doubt yourself and be proud of your achievement.

    i'd suggest to have your knees checked out for fear of a prolong issue. get plenty of rest and ice it too daily if you can. my pain never surfaced after rest and strengthening exercises for the last 4 weeks (touch wood). read up a bit on that including things like glucosamine for us active runners. what's important is to bounce back good and strong ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats, u completed amazing feat, completing the MARATHON and PB is an additional bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Yim: thanks. it was indeed a character building experience, so i can still hold my head high.
    yup, the doctor got me on glucosamine as well. thanks for the good advice

    @Rayzeef: thanks to you too. i may have misled you. it's not a true PB. "PB dlm kecederaan", if you know what i mean. Hehehe. Btw, Putrajaya is 5:40. SCKLM + 7"
    btw, how did you do? i guess i'll be reading your post soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Job well done tsar or atuk. You embraced the spirit of marathon. Magnificent story. Definitely you'll inspire more to join the camaraderie.

    The marathon can humble you (Bill Rodgers)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Diket: thanks for dropping by and for the great words of encouragement. i'd like to think i at least got my siblings into running :)
    perhaps when i'm worthy enough, i'll join the RBU gang. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tsar - congrats! How does it feel to get the Second Wind :)?

    Bloghopping here (tumpang lalu), and PB aside, that knee is ought to be checked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Syah. Second Wind is hard to come by during LSDs, so it felt awesome!

    I'll return the favor (bloghopping) later :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulation!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice report and congrats on completing in pain...
    penang bridge is next?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anon: thanks.

    @Ijam: Thanks. Eh, you guessed right! Tu yg lepas PBIM dah plan nak rehat2kan badan kat Langkawi :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Tsar for the Second biggie. We may have "raced" with each other yesterday :). Anyway, finishing is what matters rite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ziff: thanks and i can't agree more on the "racing" and "finishing". not that many of us at the back :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. cool bro, you finished well before 6hrs regardless of the punishment. i hope by 2nd half next year i can do a full as well. will try to do a half next year. thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, how nice to have a group of runners in the family. I'm sure your family reunion is all about group LSDs, bootcamps and such :) .... cool!

    p/s - atuk, thanks for dropping by at my blog ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Amir: sounds like a good plan. if you want to be more inspired, checkout those blogs i have listed on the side.
    btw, bila next gunung trip ko? sound la aku. mana le tahu aku leh join.

    @Ian: hasn't happened yet due to conflicting schedules. but i hope soon! :)
    btw, seems that i'll be dropping by more often in the future. later

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey tsar,

    my 1st comment here in your blog!

    congrats on your finishing another marathon! PB or PW, it's the experience that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @crushio/Syed: thanks for the visit. TQ. yup, life is full of ups and downs, so is running. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i got 3 climbs lined up this month.

    this saturday daypack climb to gunung datuk 800m in rembau, some 2 hours hike. start climb at approx 4am and reach summit for sunrise. after that mandi air panas at rembau.

    next week gunung tok nenek 1916m in lojing. start friday night, end sunday night. i applied leave on monday. need to carry rucksack since camp near the peak. scenery here is breathtaking, just google.

    ---siemens run---

    24th daypack climb nuang 1498m in ulu langat, near pangsun dam. climb early morning, end at night same day. approx 6-7 hours to summit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. awesome, zarin! congrats! kudos! and seriously get that knee checked out.

    the pictures of you running seriously you look very determined. :)

    i think if i were you, i would have turned in at your house junction ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment