I'm almost certain that I hurt my knee when I played ultimate frisbee with my co-workers a few weeks ago. Ok, "our version" of ultimate frisbee because none of us had actually played competitively prior to this. Hehehe. Although I wasn't physically injured in the game, but I got short-changed in my LSD on the next day. More on this later.
My department thought that it would be good to have another [internal] teambuilding activity. The previous one was a Amazing Race-like treasure hunt inside Sunway Pyramid. This time around, all had decided to go for inter-project sports competition. Suggestions were thrown on the table ranging from volleyball to basketball to futsal. As expected, there were no takers for a 10k run nor relay race :P So, we drew sticks and ultimate was the first choice.
We had a basic set of rules to begin with it. Instead of scoring by completing a pass in the opponent's endzone (similar to American football's touchdown), we made use of the goal posts, just like soccer.
As the game progressed, more rules had to be laid down as the game went on, as the opponents found loop holes in the system. Hahaha. Like "one can't score from a change of possession, e.g a throw-in" or "the goal won't be counted if the frisbee bounces or rolls before it reaches the goal line".
2 weeks after, we played ultimate again. Since it had rained earlier in the day, we retreated to the basketball court and played a game with 3 people on each side; resuming the use of endzones.
Last week (the Friday before KL marathon), I and 3 other colleagues were still around in the office after work. Although, we didn't bring in a change of clothes and I wanted to rest my legs for Sunday, we just played catch.
My next-cube neighbour is into working out. A few weeks ago, he didn't buy into my explanation that ultimate contributed to my knee pain. But for the past 2 weeks he's having backpains. He agreed that when working out in the gym (or running), we'd only work our muscles in single directions. When playing ultimate, we'd be jumping and grabbing the frisbee in the air, trying to break free from the opponents, and changing from offensive to defense and back, to name a few. Our bodies are not trained for such kind of movements.
So do you think we'd learn our lessons? Not so much. Right after work today, we played catch and 2-on-2 basketball. Hehehe. For the latter, I was hesitant at first. For one, I was looking after my knee. Secondly, it's a no-brainer - I suck at it. *lol* But for the fun of it, I gave it a go. Most of the time, I let my partner do all the hard work. At least, I scored a basket out of the 5 that we scored. :)
My department thought that it would be good to have another [internal] teambuilding activity. The previous one was a Amazing Race-like treasure hunt inside Sunway Pyramid. This time around, all had decided to go for inter-project sports competition. Suggestions were thrown on the table ranging from volleyball to basketball to futsal. As expected, there were no takers for a 10k run nor relay race :P So, we drew sticks and ultimate was the first choice.
We had a basic set of rules to begin with it. Instead of scoring by completing a pass in the opponent's endzone (similar to American football's touchdown), we made use of the goal posts, just like soccer.
As the game progressed, more rules had to be laid down as the game went on, as the opponents found loop holes in the system. Hahaha. Like "one can't score from a change of possession, e.g a throw-in" or "the goal won't be counted if the frisbee bounces or rolls before it reaches the goal line".
Taking our positions before the game commenced.
Ultimate is not a physical game, but when you're in the so-called zone, I guess you couldn't help it. For example when the frisbee was making its way down slowly from the air, it was a free-for-all situation.
During the game, my name was being called out so many times by the opposing team. Apparently, I needed to be marked because I was running around like a crazy person. :P The pitch was uneven so I was a bit worried that I'd sprain my ankle running around.
2 weeks after, we played ultimate again. Since it had rained earlier in the day, we retreated to the basketball court and played a game with 3 people on each side; resuming the use of endzones.
Last week (the Friday before KL marathon), I and 3 other colleagues were still around in the office after work. Although, we didn't bring in a change of clothes and I wanted to rest my legs for Sunday, we just played catch.
My next-cube neighbour is into working out. A few weeks ago, he didn't buy into my explanation that ultimate contributed to my knee pain. But for the past 2 weeks he's having backpains. He agreed that when working out in the gym (or running), we'd only work our muscles in single directions. When playing ultimate, we'd be jumping and grabbing the frisbee in the air, trying to break free from the opponents, and changing from offensive to defense and back, to name a few. Our bodies are not trained for such kind of movements.
So do you think we'd learn our lessons? Not so much. Right after work today, we played catch and 2-on-2 basketball. Hehehe. For the latter, I was hesitant at first. For one, I was looking after my knee. Secondly, it's a no-brainer - I suck at it. *lol* But for the fun of it, I gave it a go. Most of the time, I let my partner do all the hard work. At least, I scored a basket out of the 5 that we scored. :)
Playing catch at the basketball court

Hence it's also good to multi cross your exercises other than just running. This is to ensure all muscle groups are being taxed to balance up. Next time you need to bring your ultimate frisbee to the runs lah so we can have a go before and after the run lol
ReplyDeletewow zarin - you're like mr fitness and activities now! that's awesome. need to do that now dah tua. unfortunately i'm still sitting on my fat a$$... oh well :D
ReplyDelete@Yim: yes, I need to work on that (e.g. strength training). hahaha, suddenly i have this image of all of us playing frisbee at dataran after scklm.
ReplyDelete@Sila: err, I won't go as far as mr fitness lah. i'm far from it. biasa2 je. :) kecik2 tak nak main. kan dah besar tak reti main :D