... Kash did! Ha ha ha.
Fortunately, I don't have any personal encounter with ghosts, though I have heard many of such stories, especially when I was in boarding school. I actually wanted to write posts on this topic, but procrastination, without fail, engulfed me.
Before that happens, I'm re-porting this one post that is taken from my old blog, which to my surprise still exists although I no longer have a Friendster account.
This coming Friday, I’ll be heading to Genting View Resort with 30 other people for a 3D2N weekend getaway. NOT! hehe. We are going for our company’s teambuilding trip. Looking at the programs sent in the email, they don’t look too enticing. Of course, I didn’t get to go to lots of teambuilding events. Just that one, in 2000. In Pangkor Island.
That was the same teambuilding event that I got lost in a jungle close to an hour! Yeah, seriously. That was quite an experience. Sure, I can laugh about it now, but that was indeed something…(I’m not such a good story-teller, so please bear with me. :))
… on the afternoon of the second last day, we went for a camping trip some where on the northern part of Pangkor. After setting up camp and having tea, we went abseiling. I was part of the cooks team (Don’t ask me how I ended up being in the group, esp when I can’t cook.)… so, we were the first ones to go, so that once we were done, we’d go and prepare dinner.
I think I was the third person in line. We were told we wouldn't miss the clearing on the left where we would abseil from. When it was my turn, I put my gear on and hiked up the hill.
No clearing to be found, so I kept on going. Seeing some fresh boot-prints on the muddy trail, I was assured that I was on the right way. Still no clearing to be found. It dawned on me that I may have gone too far when I was about to descend to the other side of the hill. So I decided to turn back…
But I couldn’t find the trail that got me here. There was one that looked like a trail but it was thickly-covered by some thorny trees. So I couldn’t possibly be coming from that way, I thought to myself. Through the foliage, I could see the sea, but I just can't find a way to get there.
I yelled out some salams (I thought Hello or Hi would be inappropriate)… Nothing. Total silence. Not even a cricket. Except for this one stup*d bird that I sensed was laughing at me. Want to know how I felt that? Everytime I yelled out the salam, it would answer back “Ka ka ka ka ka”. Every single time!
Thoughts of the Blair Witch Project movie came to mind. I was more scarred of the thought that I may end up sleeping in the jungle, not knowing what could be next me, inches away!
So, that was the post that I wrote 3 years ago. I may be lost for an hour, but it felt like an eternal. What I didn't mention in the post was the part that I tried the "Hansel and Gretel" technique, substituting breadcrumbs with the tissue that I found in my pants' pocket. I just have to give anything that came to mind a try, right? Ha ha ha.All the while, I didn’t fail to utter verses from the Quran, whatever that came to mind… and when I was about to lose hope, there it was. A trail seemed to appear out of no where! I hurriedly walked down the trail. Before long, I could hear someone calling out my name. You won’t believe how relieved I was at that point.
Before arriving at camp, I passed by the clearing that was mentioned by our coordinators. I could have sworn that I didn’t see it before. And technically, I should not have missed it, because it was right there. Less than 50 meters from the base of the hill! (insert the Twilight Zone theme song here….)
Also, that night the coordinators made us play the Moonlight Sonata game, where we were divided into groups and placed roughly a couple hundred meters away from our team leaders. You could communicate with your team leaders to hone in on the correct direction, threading through the nipah trees, with some (weird) pre-defined call. One of the coordinators said to us, "Zarin had played this earlier, so it should be easy for him." :P
Next time, IF I do go on trail runs, I want to be in the middle of the pack. *lol!*
kenapa aku tak dpt update entry ni? aku ambik dari kak june punya...
ReplyDeletebelum baca lagi, nak solat dulu...nanti baca..huhu
blogspot having problems again, i didnt get update of some friends either ! nway zarin, that was some experience, scary tu hilang sorang2 dlm hutan, dia main sorok2 tu, glad u are here now !!
ReplyDeleteso u do wanna go for trail run after all..he he
ReplyDeleteu can be in our middle pack, if u register for Genting Trailblazer and pledge your alliance to Team Clown:)
I had the same experience at Lata Berkoh, Taman Negara. A buddy & me went to the river to fecth a pail of water (eh? macam jack & jill la). As we turned back, we couldn't find the trail to the campsite. We ran up and down along the river. Out of nowehere, we found an opening and saw our campsite only 30 meters away & can hear friends buat bising lagi. Weird! Even spooky when friends told us we were gone an hour when we felt it was only 5 minutes!
ReplyDeleteSorry, panjang pulak citer :)
Scary, that's all I can say. Like my experience meeting Casper...
ReplyDeleteBtw diket, that story warrant a separate blog entry lah... :)
cerita mengerikan, my belakang tengkuk bulu, go up already!!
ReplyDeletekalau jadi malam tu mcm mana tu...?..aku rela tidur atas pokok, senak pun senak la celah kangkang tapi rasa selamat tu penting...
zahrin, aku masih tak reti nak put link kat comment la...ajar lg sekali...tq
ReplyDelete@Diket: Yes, I agree with Zaki. That's a blogpost already. Tapi sesat 2 org tu ok lagi kot?
ReplyDelete@Zaki: "Casper" is another blog entry! :D
@Ijam: Sib baik tak sesat sampai malam. Na'uzubillah.
@Ijam: ko check kat tagboard aku tu.
Ganti link tu dgn link apa yg kau nak. Dan ganti "Klik sini" tu dgn apa2 ayat kau nak
@Ray: Hahaha.. pandai kau buat u-turn ek?
ReplyDelete@kak June: Sama apa yg wife coordinator tu kata! Tu le, kena ingat2 nak masuk hutan ni. Kalau tak, makan cacing, yg disangka maggi le. :o
McIjam
ReplyDeleteusually what i do is just follow the Do and Dont bila masuk utan. Insya allah selamat. :)
ReplyDeleteWah I like ghost stories! specially this month hehe. Next time cling on to someone with a GPS :)
ReplyDeletehaah Yim, dont play play, gps pun can go haywire one, these things no play play one lor .. Ijam gelak kak june , eh cik june, baca sanggup tahan senak .. but yeah i guess most would do the same .. nanti u all hear my story haaaaa .. dari anak mami mestilah dramatik kan hehe
ReplyDeleteche, kadang2 ikut peraturan masuk hutan pun yang nakal2 tu kacau jugak !
mmg seram kalau kena macam tu. I always reminded myself that there are other creatures of Allah living in the woods, the plants, animals etc (that etc can be anything)and baca doa for Allah protection). So far alhamdulillah, x penah experienced anything bad except some sound when left alone at 12pm somewhere in forest reserve of Pagoh during a Uni "motivation course" with trainers from the Police Field Force
ReplyDelete12 am..
ReplyDeleteziff, dengar bunyi tak nampak apa lagi seram, but kalau nampak lagi haru? hahaah
ReplyDelete@kak June: thanks for answering the others' comments for me while i was away. kelas! :)
ReplyDeletecan't wait for your storey *rubbing hands while smiling* :)
coming soon hehe
ReplyDelete