Jalan-jalan kat Penang


The last time I was in Penang was in Nov '09 when I ran the half marathon, where I didn't see much of the island.   And to be honest, I've never driven to Penang on my own before.  I did drive up north when I became a hengtai at my friend's wedding in Nov '08.  But that was in Butterworth, Seberang Perai, and not the island.


Anyhow... my friend, Alli was staying in Penang since Friday, and I was thinking that it'd be fun to meet up with her on Sunday.  At least, I don't have to think about work for a couple of days, right?  My only reservation is I could barely recommend her much on the best places to visit or eat.  Redah je le, ye tak? (Just don't think much of it, right?)

I have always loved the Perak PLUS-highway stretch because it breaks the monotony of the palm oil estates starting with the Lata Kijang waterfall.





Gua Tempurung.  I'll make it a point to go there one of these days.  Sapa nak ikut? (Who wants to come with?):)
Marble quarry
Hollywood-like Ipoh sign, except it didn't have that many characters to begin with :D
Light at the end of the tunnel, UFO abduction style.  :)

I took this picture in the men's toilet at the Petronas petrol station, Tapah RnR.
I guess they had cases of people with itchy hands while taking a leak at the urinals. lol!

(Sign reads: Please do not touch the flowers)


Along the way, I made a quick detour at Semanggol, Perak which is roughly 15km from the Taiping (U) exit.  A colleague was getting married and I happened to be in the neighbourhood, so I figured it'd be nice to attend the wedding reception. Alang-alang kan? 

As a KL guy and kampung-kat-Melaka (literally "with a village in Melaka") person for that matter, I really appreciated the paddy fields.  The ones at my kampung are being left for dead because Melaka is usually hit by long spell of drought.


Depan rumah pun ada pokok padi! (They even have rice plants in their front yard!)
As a proof that I was there. :D Selamat Pengantin Baru kak Ton!
Almost there
(To be conquered yet again in Nov '10)

On that day itself, Alli and I managed to cover Kek Lok Si temple, the Air Itam Dam and Batu Ferringhi night market.  The Air Itam Dam wasn't in our itinerary at all.  We stumbled upon it when we missed the turn into Kek Lok Si temple and we could only make a U-turn at the peak.  It was certainly a pleasant surprise.  If I stayed in Penang, I'd certainly make this as one of my running spots.  I even saw runners and bikers making their way up the hill.  Cayaklah!
At the Air Itam Dam


Kek Lok Si Temple
 We actually wanted to view the sunset at the top of Penang Hill, but we found out that the funicular train upgrading project would only be completed at the end of Sept.  Shucks!


On the next day, we headed across the street to Cheong Fatt Tze mansion.  Unfortunately, we could only take pictures at the outside of the mansion.  A big no-no in the inside. What gives?!
The exterior of the Cheong Fatt Tze mansion

After checking out, we headed to the Chew Jetty, one of a few clan jetties.  Honestly, if it was up to me, I would certainly give this place a pass.  Obviously, Alli was the one who suggested the place after she browsed through her guidebook.  She said that it showed her a different side of Penang.  I couldn't agree more because it is one of those places that would be appreciated more by tourists :)
At the Chew Jetty
Next, we drove south to Teluk Kumbar to try our luck with some prawn mee.  Unfortunately, the restaurant that my friend recommended was still closed.  The restaurant next door had already opened their doors, so it was the next best choice.  Without doubt, we were their only customers for lunch on a working day.  :D
What is a shark doing on the sign? :D
As we were passing Pantai Seagate, we felt like it'd be appropriate to end the Penang trip with some cendol pulut, but we weren't sure if they had it there.  We took the exit after Eastin Hotel to do a U-turn and what do you know, we came across a few stalls by the side of the Straits and one of them served cendol.  Bingo!
Alli with her cendol

We would have preferred it in a bowl, but with the settings like this, who are we to complain, right?


See you again in November, Penang!

Comments

  1. Great photos lah bro. And you get to see a lot of places that if I go I'll probably will not get to see... macam tourist betul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. zarin, wahh did u recce the route for the Penang Marathon? early preps, mcm x sabar nak lari tu...apa kata lari Genting Trailblazer dulu..he he. KA takde partner lagi tu:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah zarin, syed pun tengah cari partner lol.. and yeah nice report and pics , november ni me nak go jalan2 jugak heeh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ijam where are you? cepat SPAM zarin pulak..suruh dia join Trailblazer:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat sini pon kau ada ye ray? kerja racun orang jer... bagus3!
    Zarin, jom mandi lumpoq!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Zaki: thanks for the compliment. you're right. without my friend, i wouldnt think i'd go to such places as well.

    @Ray: nak kata tak, ya jugak. nak kata ya, tak le sgt... tp berselirat wo highway lepas tol tu. gosh!
    racun ko tak cukup kuat ni. :D

    @kak June: thanks for the compliment as well. u mean, jalan2 in penang itself after pbim?

    @Ray: aku rasa forceshield aku masih kuat lagi.

    @Zaki: Hahaha. Aku tak penah lagi berkubang2 ni. Aku takut pacat... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. zarin, yeah jalan2 lepas pbim :) jom lah trail blazer hehe .. now my turn to racun orang.. mana ijam nie??

    ReplyDelete
  8. ijam baru nampak entry ni, baru je nak comment...
    sapa lagi yg kita nak racun? eh, entah2 si zahrin maggis ni u punya partner..tak?

    ReplyDelete
  9. sapa tah partner kak June tu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i miss penang. dah lama tak gi. unlike you, my family semua north so penang was a place we used to go to often. after i gi boarding school baru start going south (so that's when i was 16) :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment