I tawt I taw a puddy tat, says Tweety


When we returned to my parents' for Eid, my mom was telling us about some green-colored birds that came and made noise right before dusk.


We had the privilege of witnessing these birds, at least a couple dozens of them, on the last of Ramadhan.  It was an hour before sunset when they came and circled our house for 3 times before taking refuge in our neighbour's durian trees.  Some swooped down and ate our overripe, leftover rambutans.

They flew off after half-and-hour of eating and/or squawking (is this the right term to use for the noise that they make?).



Given my Canon A720 PnS camera, this is the best shot of the bird(s) I could muster, especially when these birds blend so wonderfully with the tree, as well as the low-light condition.  (haha, alasan!) Those with DSLRs would have gone crazy, snapping away.
 
Feeding away.  This was on the top-most branch of the rambutan tree, I'd say about 2-story high.
I'm no bird person, so I can't tell one from the other, except for the ones I see day in and day out, of course.


This is an excerpt from Yahoo:
A macaw is a type of parrot. Parrots belong to the order Psittaciformes, which is divided into two families. These include lorikeets, cockatoos, kakapos, keas, parakeets and others
The explanation in Wiki is too wordy and too scientific for me.  LOL!


We also notice that they spot long graceful tails when they take flight.  So are they more macaws than lorikeets?  Like I said, I'm no bird person.  Hehehe.

And this is the clearest of the video clips that I took of them eating the rambutans; you may need to change to 480p.  See if you could spot all 4 of them.  And that noise in the background... that's from the rest of flock on the nearby durian trees.

 

They did come by again the next day (first day of Eid), but in smaller number.  And they didn't stick around for too long either.  Probably less than 5 minutes.

So if you know which species they're from, please help to enlighten us, ok?




p/s: I'm so far behind with my blog-reading and running.  I'm so jealous at even reading the RBUs' blog post titles and FB statuses... and I still have 3 days of fasting in Syawal to go; technically it's 4 since I still have to endure the entire day to make it count.  Oh help me God!

Comments

  1. welcome back soon zarin! dont berhibernasi terlalu lama :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. puasa 6? fuh...power dari lari ni...
    makin cengkung la kau...

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice visitors :) welcome back ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, I never knew we have macaws in Malaysia.
    Sungguh kagum

    ReplyDelete
  5. @syah: insyaAllah. Tu le. Restless gak ni :)

    @ijam: kena mkn weight gain kot? Hehe. Tapi ok la tu. Benefits of running tho it's been awhile I did that

    @k June: thanks. serious x sabar to get back on track

    @doc Julin: thanks for coming ya. Tu lah tu. Masa mula tu cam x caya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. birds? no idea - but it does look somewhat parrot-like or in the parrot family. that's the best i can do :)

    on the other hand, rambutans? mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. the birds and the rambutan tree blend in so well... you can hardly spot them...

    ReplyDelete
  8. umm zarin - now i am seeing your crooo croooo bird video in a different light ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @shahi: yup. i had a hard time trying to get good shots.

    @sila: err, what crooo crooo video? :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment