... from Penang that is. Hence it was one of the better places to relax tired body and mind after completing the Penang Bridge marathon. I haven't been to every corner of Malaysia, but Langkawi is among my favourite local destinations, along with Kota Kinabalu, Tioman and a few others. My last trip there was in fact in May of last year.
My sister and brother-in-law decided to tag along after finding out that I was heading to Langkawi after PBIM. I figured "Why not, the more the merrier" :-)
Besides eating and shopping (for chocolates and perfume), the highlight of the short stay in Langkawi has to be the Mangrove boat tour. Our first stop was at Gua Kelawar (Bat Cave). "To the Bat Cave, Robin!" No, no. Not that Bat Cave. But an actual bat cave.
Next, we headed to the fish farm attached to the Hole in the Wall floating restaurant. Here, they have several fish species, such as the kerapu (grouper), keropoh (?), siakap (barramundi), coral fishes, as well as moray eels and rays.
I liked the way how the siakaps lined up in a row waiting for their food, and made a big pop when swallowing their food as they swam away. I'm not too sure how to describe it, so you better watch the below video to see what I mean.
And the rays were so much fun to watch.
Before leaving the fish farm, we placed our order for lunch. It'd be the best way to end the trip.
On the way to the location at which the eagles feed, we went through Gua Buaya (Crocodile Cave). Nope, no crocodile here.
At the eagle feeding location, you could observe two species of eagle in Langkawi; the brown eagles with white head and chest and the sea eagles, the bigger of the two. Our boatman even managed to sneak in a joke by saying the biggest eagle in Langkawi is the one at Dataran Lang. Ha ha ha!
Besides eating and shopping (for chocolates and perfume), the highlight of the short stay in Langkawi has to be the Mangrove boat tour. Our first stop was at Gua Kelawar (Bat Cave). "To the Bat Cave, Robin!" No, no. Not that Bat Cave. But an actual bat cave.
![]() |
| Some of the pictures taken in the boat |
![]() |
| Gua Kelawar (Bat Cave) |
Next, we headed to the fish farm attached to the Hole in the Wall floating restaurant. Here, they have several fish species, such as the kerapu (grouper), keropoh (?), siakap (barramundi), coral fishes, as well as moray eels and rays.
![]() |
| At the fish farm. |
And the rays were so much fun to watch.
Before leaving the fish farm, we placed our order for lunch. It'd be the best way to end the trip.
On the way to the location at which the eagles feed, we went through Gua Buaya (Crocodile Cave). Nope, no crocodile here.
| Waiting for our turn to go inside the cave |
At the eagle feeding location, you could observe two species of eagle in Langkawi; the brown eagles with white head and chest and the sea eagles, the bigger of the two. Our boatman even managed to sneak in a joke by saying the biggest eagle in Langkawi is the one at Dataran Lang. Ha ha ha!
![]() |
| At the eagle feeding site |
Next, we went to a nearby island to feed some coral fish, which is mostly made up of sargeant majors.
Our boatman challenged us to catch a fish with our bare hands. Game on! Lured with bread, I managed to catch one sargeant major fish but I had to release it back to the sea before we could take a video/picture of it; I lost grip on it so it was flopping around in the boat. I tried again, and this time I caught a brown-colored fish. Our boatman warned me of its spikes, so I quickly released it in the sea. At least there's a video proof (see below) ;)
Our last stop before heading back to the Hole in the Wall restaurant was the beach at Pulau Dangli (I believe that was the name unless I was mistaken). We didn't bring our swimming attire, so we just hung out and took a stroll on the beach.
All-in-all, it was an amazing boat trip. Much better than the island hopping boat trip that we went on last year.
Our boatman challenged us to catch a fish with our bare hands. Game on! Lured with bread, I managed to catch one sargeant major fish but I had to release it back to the sea before we could take a video/picture of it; I lost grip on it so it was flopping around in the boat. I tried again, and this time I caught a brown-colored fish. Our boatman warned me of its spikes, so I quickly released it in the sea. At least there's a video proof (see below) ;)
Our last stop before heading back to the Hole in the Wall restaurant was the beach at Pulau Dangli (I believe that was the name unless I was mistaken). We didn't bring our swimming attire, so we just hung out and took a stroll on the beach.
All-in-all, it was an amazing boat trip. Much better than the island hopping boat trip that we went on last year.
Here's a couple more pictures to end the post.
Note: You could also check out the individual pictures at my Picasaweb
![]() |
| At the Langkawi Lagoon hotel |
| This was taken on the way back to KL. Sure, PBIM kicked my ass, but I got the last laugh. Mwahahaha! |
Note: You could also check out the individual pictures at my Picasaweb







wow langkawi best tu:)
ReplyDeletelutut dah x nervous lagik ker?
This is definitely a fisherman in the making! Tukar jobs i see!
ReplyDeletebestnya langkasuka, eh..langkawi. Teringin nak pegi lagi lah..
ReplyDeleteDah boleh tangkap ikan pakai tangan tu boleh lah join Ijam masuk event yang sumpit-menyumpit kat Bukit Celakah nanti.
ReplyDelete@Ray: langkawi mmg best ;)
ReplyDeletetak de race apa2 dlm masa terdekat ni, so dia tak nervous lah. hehe. tapi
@Yim: if only the fish eats bread. haha. our hotel is on the sea so we threw bread at the fish. tak pandang langsung! they only want real fish.
@Ijam: yup... fun for the entire family. :)
@Deo: bukit celakah tu kat mana? haha.
holiday cum relaxing mind.. good.. :-)
ReplyDeletedang, zarin, you're making me want to put langkawi on my destination list. tangkap ikan, bagi ikan makan, batman and robin, eagles, everything pun ada!!
ReplyDeleteAnon: Yup, it was excellent!
ReplyDeleteSila: you should! Macam2 ada. There are others like the cable car ride, seafood... and pinggan mangkuk shopping. Hahaha