PBIM 2010: macam-macam hal

Disclaimer: This is not really a race report.  It's just a random recollection of the event. :)

Since I had participated in the half marathon last year, it was an easy decision to upgrade to the full category.  I've actually bought the plane ticket from KUL to PEN at the end of the last year.  Talk about kiasu-ness!  Okay, that's not real truth.  My Enrich points were expiring, so I exchanged them for a one-way ticket to Penang, and return flight from Langkawi.  Regardless of how I fare in PBIM 2010, I knew that I'd be chilling in Langkawi for a couple of days :-)
It was still not too late to pull out. HA HA HA!

For the past few months, I've made friends with RBUs and FMVs alikes so this year's PBIM was a total opposite to last year's lonely race.  I also had my brother crashing (his words) at my place in Penang.  Thus, to see familiar faces and to exchange encouragements (+ lambungs) were simply amazing.

Just like at work, I had also set my KPI for the race.  A "4" for finishing the race sub-5.  Achieving a PB is a "3" , while completing the race before the normal qualifying time of 6 hours is a "2"; PBIM has a 7-hour qualification time.  I knew that it would be a tall order for me to meet the "4" because the nagging pain/twitching/sensation at my outer left knee had resurfaced 1.5 weeks before the event.  If I didn't know better, I would think my knee was having butterflies-in-the-stomach episode.

Knowing that Ray had RockTape samples, I asked for some for my knee.  He showed up at the hotel lobby at midnight as promised, together with Zack Yui and Deo.  Man, these guys were already gearing to go, while I just woke up from my nap few minutes ago; it was too short to call it 'sleep'.  Deo was asking me if I have an extra 10K bib because he'd like to join Ray who was planning to do both HM and 10K runs.  Dayuummm!  The disappointment on his face was obvious when I said no.  Sorry man.  If you had said earlier, I could have gotten them from my brother's friend; women's category pun ok kan? lol


Bulu!!! Even if I shaved it all off, I don't think I could shave off my timing. ROFL!

Note: Since I haven't used RockTape on any of my runs before, I also put my knee guard on.

Aaahhh, happy and smiling faces. You don't know what you're in for, buddy!

Allow me to continue my rambling in points form from now onwards.  It's better that way ;-)
  • It was really hot and humid, so I was already sweating by the 3rd KM.
  • I managed to keep on running until the U-turn at the end of the bridge.  It was quite a distance farther than the 11K distance at SCKLM '10 (when my knee injury flared up).
  • When the sky opened up, it was the start of my problems.  My legs were cramping all over, especially my thighs and calves.  I was reduced to mostly walking.  I knew I have the energy to run, but my legs were objecting to the idea.
  • At the mid-span of the bridge, they were handing out buns.  This one guy was yelling out "Roti panas! Roti panas!"  (Hot buns! Hot buns!) The second they took one out from the plastic, it became wet and soggy.  "Roti basah!" (wet buns) would be more appropriate. :D
  • When I passed the 32K mark, I was shocked to see my brother and other strong runners (like Yim) on the opposite side of the road about to reach their 35th KM.  "They shouldn't be there at the first place", I thought to myself.  "Of course, they would have finished an hour ahead of me".
  • They were handing out bananas at the Jelutong highway U-turn.  So I consumed one.  As if thigh and calves cramps were not enough, I now have stomach cramps.  Oh good Lord!  The blue Perskindol gel helped to cool it down but any attempts to run were  even harder and shorter.
  • I finally arrived at Kak June's kedai runcit at the KM35.  She was asking me "Zarin! Nak apa? Gel, kismis, spray, gatorade, mineral water..." the whole shebang, but I replied "Saya pun tak tahulah kak June.  Satu badan sakit!" (I have no clue. The whole body hurts!) and limped away.  (Btw, thanks kak June and the gang).
  • When I arrived at the merge point with the 10KM-ers, I spotted Ray amongst the hundreds.  It's that red bandanna I'm telling you.  Haha.  He was taking it easy so it wouldn't be nice to ran jog pass him without saying anything.  So I sep (tagged) him on the shoulder (siap cakap "Sep" ni tau).  It was a big mistake on my part.  LOL!
  • For the remaining 3Ks, with Ray by my side, I couldn't turn to the 20-80 plan (20% run, 80% walk as mentioned by Syed).  Every time I stopped to walk, he would force me run.  And each time I'd tell him "I'll start running from that tree to that overhead bridge" or "I'll run from that 'left' signboard to the 'exclamation point' signboard."  And for the life of me, I couldn't tell how far the finishing line was.  I couldn't locate where Eastin was.  I believe Ray got tired of me asking him "Mana Eastin ni?  Tak nampak pun"  (Where the heck is Eastin?  I don't see it).  The thighs hurt sooo bad, I'm telling you.  But a part of me didn't want to slow Ray down considering that he was also running his 10K.  I did tell him to continue running and meet me at the finishing line but he objected.  I tried.  Hahaha!
  • Closing on the finishing line, Ray just couldn't let me go off easily.  He was screaming out my name.   He asked the crowd, including a group of girls scout with pom-poms and whistles, to cheer me on.  Oh man!
  • I crossed the finish line after 5:27:25.  Far from my sub-5 target.  But compare that to my PNM time of 5:39:39, it was not too shabby eh?
As a conclusion:
  • The RockTape seemed to be working.  Apart from a couple of jolts on the outer left knee, the knee held up.  But it hurts everywhere else.  If only I have enough supplies of RockTape for the entire body!  :D
  • Thanks to Ray for being the pain-in-the-ass pacer and coach.  (Ray, ni bukan kutuk tau.  Pujian ni!)  If not for him, I couldn't have achieved a "3" for my PBIM KPI.  He's destined to be part of Zack Yui's main support crew for Sundown ;)
  • I hope it'd be in the not-so-far distance way that I could achieve a sub-5 target.  Or at least to have the strength and be injury-free to complete a full marathon by running.  It is the clear definition of what a marathon is.  To be honest, there were times during the run, I questioned my marathon undertaking.  So much so, that I wanted to quit participating in any future marathons.  But don't worry, the runner in me would not shy away from marathons.  They're too good to be missed ;)
Great job to all those who participated in PBIM.  Being there myself, I know how hard it was.

Comments

  1. New PB, will lead to more PB's after this.
    Congrats on finishing another maraton.
    Ole-ole langkawi mana daa??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how people say FM is fun. Sure, it's fun the first 20 miles, then the last 6 miles is pure torture hell.
    I feel you bro.
    Congrats! Excellent considering sakit sini sana.
    Dan..sorang lagi pakai super selotape. Ray kena jadik ejen nih.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats bro for the '3'. Bila next marathon? Boleh le aku sepp bahu kau pulak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haah i remember u were like tak tau laaa .. lol .. ray was telling us how he made u run ha ha .. congrats , still an improvement :) and many more will follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats zarin on completing the marathon and PB, well i tried my best to get u to the finish line before 5:30..he he. sub 5 next time in singapore :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zarin, congrats for another finish and a PB. Well done bro! Cenggini gayanya, takleh laa aku nak sep sep kau! :)
    p/s: JJ, nak fun kena lari selowww selowww macam saya! Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations zahrin! dah dekat dah tu nak sub 5, selaput tape tu kena letak lebih sikit, balut mcm mummy pun ok, lari lagi laju.
    Singapore kau tak masuk ke? org ramai masuk ni, banyak amoi ooo...luar negara tu...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all for the kind words.

    @EnAiKay: Harap2 begitu lah, walaupun cut the time sikit2. :D Ole2 Langkawi? Err... brg2 lari dah setengah beg. :D

    @DocJulin: Tu la tu. Ray tu tokan. Hahaha.

    @Deo: Kau nak sep aku buat apa? Kau sub-4:30 material bro. Aku pun tak tau bila le next marathon aku ni.

    @kak June: I tak dpt dtg la Jumaat ni. RBUs tak de sendoff party next week ke utk sesapa gi SCMS?

    @Ray: thanks for pushing me man. aku tak gi S'pore le. Go for sub-5 man! I believe in you and Deo.

    @Zack: actually kitanye pace ni sama je. but you have better legs than me.

    @Ijam: Aku actually tgh tunggu shipment RockTape aku ni. Boleh letak satu badan kot? :D
    Amik gambar amoi2 byk2!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats budak Labu hehehe. Aku dah happy sesangat kalau dpt sub 5 hr 30 min.

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats! kalu balut satu badan ngan rocktape mau sub 3 tuh.. haha..

    p/s : ijam, tak yah gi singapore jauh2, lari kat Air Hitam pun ramai amoi.. wa cakap lu..

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ziff: Hahaha. Kalau camtu kau wakil labu kat scms ;) Ingat dulu lari rentas desa 3km pun dah semput. Lol

    @che: kalau mmg dpt sub 3 aku org pertama selotep 1 badan. Kah kahkah

    ReplyDelete
  12. cekal! cuba lagi dan lagi. eh banyaknya rocktape si Ray?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Syah: insya-Allah selagi terdaya. tengok posting si Ray dulu, mcm byk sample diaorg bagi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. good job, dude. also, keep in mind that the original messenger guy who ran from Marathon to Athens the distance that the modern marathon is supposed to be, he ran the marathon, gasped out his message, then collapsed and died. so i think you still did better than him! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment