I believe it would be helpful if I was to show the path that I took on this particular day. A Garmin watch could have done it automatically, but since I don't own one (*hint* *hint*) I have to do it manually.
 |
| Original map is taken from http://mappery.com/maps/Rome-Tourist-Map.jpg |
Right after breakfast, I took the metro to Colosseo (Colosseum). I like the part when you exit the Metro, Colosseo is just right in front of you. Nice touch indeed. With the purchased Roma Pass card, I could skip the line and head directly to the entrance.
Colosseo did not disappoint at all. I could somewhat imagine how it was back in the days. Of course, I'm not sure how I'd react to see the gladiators fighting off each other or against animals, the likes of bears, hippos and lions. If I were to live in those times, I would of course be sitting higher up in the stands; due to the social status :P
 |
| Runners getting ready for tomorrow's marathon. And I'm still playing tourist :D |
 |
| Making my way to the entrance |
 |
| A model showing how things worked back in the days |
 |
| Inside Colosseo |
 |
| Nak jugak tu. Haha. Obligatory pose for the camera |
 |
| It's huge! |
 |
| View of Palatino (Palatine Hill) from Colosseo. You could also see the start line of the marathon on the right |
 |
| View of Arco di Constantino and Palatino from Colosseo |
 |
| Did I say it was huge? I did, didn't I? |
 |
| Where the basements used to be |
 |
| Another picture of the basements |
 |
| A display of one of the artifacts found during excavation |
 |
| Arco di Constantino (Arch of Constantine) |
Next door is the Palatino (Palatine Hill). Mythology has it, this was where Romulus killed Remus and founded Roma.
 |
| The ruins at Palatine Hill |
 |
| Part of Palatine Hill |
 |
| residence buildings on Palatine Hill - I can't be sure where exactly is House of Augustus |
 |
| Colosseo! |
 |
| View of Roman Forum from Palatine Hill |
 |
| View of Roman Forum from Palatine Hill |
Descending from Palatino, one will arrive at Foro Romani (Roman Forum). I won't even attempt to explain it to you guys, so you're better off reading the Wikipedia page.
 |
| One of the arches at Roman Forum |
 |
| Another angle of the arch |
 |
| Roman Forum |
 |
| Roman Forum |
 |
| The START/FINISH line of tomorrow's marathon. Awesome backdrop! |
The II Vittariano (Monument of Vittorio Emmanuele II) was my next stop. Some people may cry foul over the wedding cake-like structure, but I kinda like it. Right in front is Milite ignoto (Tomb of the Unknown Soldier) guarded by 2 soldiers. Seeing that it was open to public, I took the opportunity to go to the rooftop to get a better view of the surrounding area.
 |
| Tomb of the Unknown Soldier |
 |
| II Vittoriano |
 |
| View from the roof of II Vittoriano |
My friend, Francesco recommended a visit to Musei Capitolini (Capitoline Museum). So I did just that. Unfortunately, photography wasn't allowed in certain section (not even without flash). Don't ask me why. You just have to be contend with googling the rest of the pictures from the internet. Some notable attractions include the Capitoline Wolf, the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius (like the one you'd find on the courtyard), the bust of Medusa and the colossal statue of Constantine.
 |
| A replica of the Marcus Aurelius statue in the courtyard of Musei Capitolini |
 |
| Inside Musei Capitolini |
 |
| Inside Musei Capitolini |
 |
| One of the last pictures before I was told not to take pictures. :P |
 |
| View of Roman Forum (from Musei Capitolini |
 |
| Another view of the Forum - it's pretty big |
 |
| Leaving Musei Capitolini |
After Musei Capitoli, I headed down towards Circo Massimo (Circus Maximus). I wanted to see the La Bocca della Verità (Mouth of Truth) but the line outside of Basilica of Saint Mary in Cosmedin was a tad too long for my liking. I have to check the one in the shopping mall, I guess. Hehehe.
 |
| The basilica that housed the Mouth of Truth |
Circo Massimo (Circus Maximus) used to be a great Roman chariot racing stadium, but if you didn't know any better, you'd think it's just like any other park.
 |
| Circo Massimo - looks like any other park |
I read that the Trastevere neigbourhood, across the Tiber, would be a good bet for lunch. With countless number of cafes along the streets of Trastevere, I finally settled in a not-too-crowded trattoria.
 |
| Crossing the Tiber & going through Tiber Island to get to Trastevere |
This is a conversation that I had with my waiter after I have placed my order.
waiter: Where are you from?
me: Malaysia
waiter: Where exactly?
me: Kuala lumpur, the city.
waiter: Oh. I've watched "Evolusi KL Drift"... with English subtitles
me (at this time very surprised): Oh really? I, myself, haven't seen it.
waiter: I like tuned-up cars.
Tabik!
On the way to Piazza del Popolo, I passed by Pantheon (again) and Fontana di Trevi (yet again). What can I say, the attractions in Rome are all considered walking distance.
 |
| Campo de Fiori market where one could buy flowers and grocery, among others |
 |
| Going into Pantheon. There were tons of people. |
 |
| Inside the Pantheon |
 |
| "world's largest unreinforced concrete dome" with central opening |
 |
| Outside of Pantheon |
 |
| Fontana di Trevi |
 |
| The crowd at Fontana di Trevi |
I've been to Piazza del Popolo before with my colleagues, but we didn't know of Pincio, which offers great panaromic view of the city and Vatican. I actually wanted to take a stroll in Villa Borghese gardens, but I had to brush that thought aside. I shouldn't be doing too much walking, considering that I have a maraton to *run/jog/walk/crawl tomorrow.
* - cross off whichever do not apply.
 |
| Piazza del Popolo |
 |
| View of Piazza del Popolo from Pincio |
 |
| MJ is performing in the piazza |
 |
| Villa Borghese gardens |
 |
| Another shot of Villa Borghese gardens, and this is only one tiny part of it |
 |
| They even have a kids' park |
 |
| Heading towards Piazza di Spagna |
 |
| View of Pincio from the piazza |
From Pincio, I walked back towards my hotel and passed by Piazza di Spagna. It was a nice day out, and it seemed that everyone in Rome was in the streets. Clearly, you won't find such a thing in Malaysia because of the hot weather.
 |
| Lots of people on the streets enjoying the nice weather |
 |
| Tons of people all the way to Piazza di Spagna |
 |
| Fontana della Barcaccia (Fountain of the Old Boat) |
 |
| Ni baru betul tempat melepak! Do what the Romans do :) |
 |
| It seems that everyone in Rome is out and about |
 |
| Jom melepak! (Let's chill) :) |
Ahhh Rome, how i miss thee :)
ReplyDeletethis is fantastic .. am i missing something u there to run ? holiday? err can u give me tour agent for this booking ? hehe
ReplyDelete@Yim: I've already missed it. :(
ReplyDelete@kak June:Thanks. Holiday, tapi alang2 tu gi lari2. Tak de tour agent. DIY je. Kalau nak, I don't charge a lot :D
wow you packed a lot of sightseeing in! :) best nya! and what a crowd - are all those people tourists or just regular romans lepaking?
ReplyDelete@Sila: I bet that 75% would be foreign tourists. But that's still left with a lot of Romans & Italians in general
ReplyDelete