Disclaimer: This may turn out to be a long and boring rambling. Don't tell me I didn't warn you :D And I've also uploaded the pictures in my Picasaweb.
I believe I've made it known (somewhere) that I wanted to travel to EU in 2010, but I wasn't committed to it knowing that months of planning would be needed. And of course, money. Then Azizul asked me again last December. I thought - it's now or never later.
Another friend, Firouz has told me of his intention to come back in April with his friend for holiday and he asked if I could take them around KL.
That meant my EU trip has to be in either March or May. Then I have this crazy idea to participate in an international marathon while I'm at it. If I were to go in May, then it'd be just a month before SCKLM and I don't think that's fair for my KL marathon. Besides, May seemed like a long time to wait, and if I waited that long, I may not even go.
So I was looking at the marathon calendars for 2011 and 2 marathons caught my eye. There's one in Barcelona on March 6th and Rome's organizing its very own marathon on the 20th. I've dreamed of going to Barcelona. Although Barcelona's weather could be mild at that time, perhaps it won't be for the rest of EU, especially the UK.
Rome Marathon is much, much later and that's the date for the Spring Equinox. Of course, you may never know with all the freak weather that we have every now and then.
In the end, I chose Rome. I'm familiar with the city, yet there's still so much more that Rome could offer. And what better place to carbo load than Italy, right? LOL!
Interesting facts about the 17th edition (2011) of Maratona di Roma:
- Total participation: 16,188 (Men 13,317 and Women 2,871)
- Total countries: 84
- Number of Malaysians: 5. I wonder who the other 4 were?
- Total finishers: 12,596
- Women's winner: Firehiwot Dado Tufa (Ethiopia) - 2:24:13
- Men's winner: Dickson Chumba Kiptolo (Kenya) - 2:08:45
- Not only that, 85,000 people took part in the 4KM fun race!
It's not ideal to run a marathon when:
- the farthest you ran was a couple of half-marathon distances on weeks 7 & 8 of your 18 week training program
- you sustained calf injury on week 10 and had to put aside training close to a month
- you tried to get back on your training program, got to 15km on week 14 before getting that tingly sensation on your calf again. So you have to play it safe and rest
- you're playing tourist and walking all over the city the 2 days before the actual race :D
See, that's why I didn't bother telling people that I was participating for fear of DNS, DNF and what not :-) I was indeed nervous and the couple of weeks leading up to the marathon, I just hopped on the dreadmill 2-3 times a week, for about 3K's each time to reduce the anxiousness, but at same time be weary not to aggravate the injury further.
Having had breakfast, I made my way the metro and and it was nice to see that it was jam-packed with marathoners with the blue Asic bags on their backs. And I was one of them ;-) The metro was kind enough to give out free rides to us runners.
 |
| Exiting the Circo Massimo metro station |
 |
| It's like an army of blue bags invading Rome |
 |
| Those are the left luggage trucks |
 |
| I'd be happy to the "Final KM" arch later on in the run |
The left baggage trucks were stationed near Arco di Constantino (Arch of Constantine). With 40 minutes left before flagoff, I headed towards the starting corrals. Bib numbers were assigned based on the previous marathon achievement and the estimated time of completion; you'd also need to provide a Health Form declaration signed by your GP.
 |
| All it's missing is a clown. Balloons... clowns. Get it? I'm sure there's a runner dressed in a clown somewhere |
 |
| More runners trickling in |
 |
| I can't get enough of Colosseo |
 |
| Kasi can la kan? :D |
Inside the corrals, I met and talked to a lady from Canada, who was one of 52 birthday peeps taking part in the marathon. I can tell from the "Birthday girl" pin that she placed on her hat ;)
 |
| Inside the starting corrals (kandang). Very creative use of trashbags :) |
 |
| Checking out runners' shoes |
 |
| They had at least 2 copters covering the event |
 |
| Any seconds now |
 |
| That's the birthday girl in pink. |
One interesting observation that I made within minutes of the flagoff (gun off) was that people were throwing their sweaters, jackets, long-sleeve running shirts and what not on and over the fences. I was like, dayymmmnnn. If I were one of the cleanup crews, I'd be rich. Or at least, I don't have to buy them for years to come.
 |
| People leaving their jackets, sweaters and all by the fences, just like that. You could also see some runners peeing. LOL! |
In the first few kilometers, I was just trying to maintain an okay-pace and soak in the atmosphere. It's not all the time I get to run with sooo many people. This also meant that there were a lot more people zooming by. All I cared was my calf injury would be kept at bay, or at least bearable.
 |
| Piazza Venezia, where II Vittoriano is |
 |
| Circo Massimo arch/marker |
 |
| Band playing music on the sides |
 |
| "Life begins at 60" - I believe this is the American Bart who finished last just after 7 hours. At least he completed it. Yay! |
 |
| Even the dog was faster than me! :P |
 |
| Runners dressing up for the marathon. But I didn't really see any crazy costumes. Maybe I was just so far behind :) |
 |
| Even the racewalker was faster than me. But I managed to overtake him towards the end :) |
It happens countless times that you'd deem it as a normal thing when runners go behind the trees or fences and do their thing. But to see them lining up on an open field put a smile on my face. Furthermore, it's Circo Massimo (Circus Maximus) -- the chariot racing stadium if you don't know what that is.
 |
| I wonder if they checked for wind direction. :D |
 |
| Porta San Paolo |
 |
| Piramide Cesti |
 |
| Watering the plants |
Right after Piramide Cestia, my camera was already giving low battery warning. Must be all the picture and video taking that I spent on before the start. My spare battery was left in my bag. So I had to keep the photo taking to the minimal. I want to at least make it last to the finish line. In doing so, I didn't take any pictures as we were running past Basilica di San Pietro (St Peter's Basilica) or Stadio Olimpico.
Is anyone familiar with Mr. Os's "Deghoyan dah berbunge" song? Was it taken from another song? The reason I asked is that somewhere between the 5 and 10 km marks (I couldn't remember), there was a band playing to that exact tune. I couldn't help to sing it to my self "Oh kome, deghoyan dah berbunge. Moh kite minang anok dare..." when I ran past them. LOL!
I reached the 21km marker an hour before the cutoff time, so I knew then that if anything would happen in the next 21km, I could still walk the rest of the way until the finishing line. But "God forbid" was what I truly wished for.
The north portion of the course after Stadio Olimpico wasn't really that exciting but you can't run the entire marathon on cobblestones. But I got to say, it was nice to see a big mosque in Rome.
 |
| Rome Mosque |
The final leg was such a nice touch, as we were running through the city passing by Rome's main attractions -- Piazza Navona - Piazza del Popolo - Piazza di Spagna - Fontana di Trevi - II Vittoriano - Circo Massimo. This and the cheering crowd helped to lift you up and distract the mind away from the sore and tired body and legs.
 |
| The 5:00 pacers overtook me :( |
 |
| Near Spanish Steps |
 |
| Near Trevi Fountain |
After passing the Circo Massimo marker, my thighs were really cramping up. They were already burning from Piazza del Popolo. But at this point I had to stop and walk. They hurt so bad that they made my cramping calf unnoticeable.
Arriving at the "Ultimo Kilometro!" (Final Kilometer) marker, I decided that it was time to ditch the walking. Sure it was a pace slower than that of a walk, but it has to be done. Betul-betul terkedek-kedek ni.
 |
| That's Arch of Constantine in the background |
 |
| Almost there! |
 |
| Damn happy that the ordeal was about to be over |
 |
| Yay, the finish line! |
 |
| Another angle |
I crossed the line at 5:08:50 (nett time: 5:05:26). Sure I didn't manage to break the sub-5 timing, but I still bettered my timing by 20 minutes, considering all the circumstances. And this is the first time I've run (although it could slower than a walking place) 97.6% of the course (if not for that 1KM of walking). Suka giler!
I got my medal, had my timing chip removed from my bib and then handed a space blanket. A volunteer saw me taking my own picture, and offered to take a picture for me. Awww, that was so nice of her. Grazie mille!
 |
| I really like the backdrop |
 |
| The aftermath :) |
 |
| I made sure nobody was underneath the foils/space blankets before I stepped on them. Just in case |
After changing to my spare gear, I got myself an apple, cookies and hot tea and headed towards the metro station to go back to the hotel and get all cleaned up. Unlike my previous marathons whereby I'd just lay down on my back for the rest of the day and the day after, I decided to make the most of my stay in Rome by walking about. Besides I needed to get me some post-race meal.
 |
| My reward! Hehe... but I did have a couple even before the marathon. Whoops! Hahaha |
With the sun setting, it marked my last evening in Rome. I know it's just the start of my holiday, but what a great, great start it is!
 |
| Sunset |
Note: A couple more nice touches:
- Video clip throughout the marathon
- The next day's edition of Corriere dello Sport paper included a special marathon results section. I'm in the papers! In a good way. And not those of Datuk T-type of news. Hahaha.
OK. Aku terpaksa skip your earlier sight seeing posts. Too historical for me to digest I guess :)
ReplyDeleteMakan air krim banyak sambil amik gambar pun still boleh rilek2 complete 5 hours. Congrats bro. Running vacation sure is a good outing.
Aisey aku jeleslah! Btw, London & Istanbul are my dream marathons, ntah bilalah tu hahaha...
ReplyDeleteAnyway, even with calf problems and more, you still clocked a superb timing. Well done & congrats bro!
wah, fantastic .. and a good run .. congrats :)
ReplyDeleteWell done Zarin! patut senyap lama, secret treneng for Roma ghupenye... very good timing!
ReplyDeleteLovely account Zarin, good job. I know you had lota of fun running this roma marathon! Great timing too despite setbacks and congrats on a PB. How cold was it looking at the blankets given out at the end as well as people throwing off their jumpers at the beginning. Below 10?
ReplyDeleteI miss Roma! Makes me wanna go and do a real international marathon lol
alamak, bestnya!!!...one day, one day...
ReplyDeleteThanks you guys... way, way too kind.
ReplyDelete@Diket: Don't worry lah. Tak baca atau komen pun tak pe. Ni mostly for my records je. In future boleh kenang2kan balik :)
yup, masa vacation kena rilek2. kalau tak, tak rasa seronok
@ZackYui: Aku pun terpikir nak buat London. Tapi cepat sgt penuh.
Btw, tak salah aku, time tu sama mcm ngan timing kau buat masa LSD. Itu baru LSD...
@kak June: Thanks!
@Yim: Xie xie. Yes, lots of fun. but at the back of the mind, takut DNF. hehe.
I believe it was below 10 at 8am. So I felt under-dressed because I still wore like in KL. haha. but the same was up at the start. low teens. actually dont really need the blankets. for me it was more like for being awesome factor. haha.
eh, you already did so many international marathons meh! :P
@Ijam: tu le. banyak betul international marathons ni
@Yim: pembetulan... "same" --> "sun"
ReplyDeletealamak, tertinggal lak komen utk Syah.
ReplyDelete@Syah: secret training ke bendanya. injured mana ada training. tu yg dok diam2 tu. kalau korang sure berdesup!
nice job, zarin!! :) memang tabik habih. so when are you going to run the flying pig then??? next year? ;)
ReplyDeleteSalam, I stumbled onto your blog while browsing some Msian runners blogs. What an awesome experience you just had running Roma. I myself gearing up to take on my first marathon this year, tapi tak tau lagi yang mana satu since I find it hard to fit into my work schedule. Anyway, Im planning for Istanbul in Oct. It would be nice to run along someone from my homeland, jom Istanbul?! - Rizal
ReplyDelete@Sila: Thanks! Tapi tak de la sampai tabik2. Tu la tu, syok gak kalau if it's all taking shape for next year.
ReplyDelete@Rizal: Hello there! Thanks for coming and leaving a comment.
So you're already have Istanbul planned? Wahhh. Nice! That does sound appealing to me, but I don't think I could do another international run + oversea trip this year. Well you know... Duit, cuti. :) But I'm doing SCKLM in late June, insya-Allah.
Btw, have you checked out the blogroll on the right for more runners & also the FMV FB page?