EU trip - Day 14 - So long Edinburgh

Oh man, my last day in Edinburgh had arrived quicker than I anticipated :(

After a hearty pasta-with-shrimps breakfast (thanks to Ijan), we left the house and took the bus to the city. The idea was to get myself "re-acquainted" with the city landmarks that I've last seen some 16 years(!) ago.

I could still recall Princes Street that separates the old and city sections, Edinburgh Castle and Carlton Hill. We skipped the latter this time around.
Edinburgh's National Gallery and the Edinburgh Castle on the hill

Can't quite see the Edinburgh Castle clearly in the background

Scott Monument
Some black church... have to google it later
While working our way to Edinburgh Castle, we were intrigued by the "Have you seen one million pounds?" banners along the street. Seeing that we were still doing good with time, we went into the Museum on the Mound to check it out. Plus, entrance fee was waived (read: FOC).  Hehehe.
In the courtyard of "Museum on the Mound"

Taken in front of the Museum on the Mound's entrance

One million pounds

Another one million pounds

I should have done the Austin Power's "one million dollars" pose, with my twinkie finger in my teeth :D
Just like last time, I didn't go into Edinburgh Castle. This time, it wasn't so much because of the fees to get in, but I have a plane to catch later in the afternoon.
with Faizi in front of the Edinburgh Castle

the nearest I got to the castle

That's Arthur's Seat in the backdrop

After doing the obligatory souvenirs run, Faizi and I ended the city trip with a Briyani lunch at the city's Mosque. With cheap food, its kitchen attracted the masses, and not just the Muslims. The portion was quite large. Yet I still added a samosa and a kebab on my plate. Err, seriously Zarin?
Part of the Royal Mile

St Giles' Cathedral

Once I finished packing, it was time to go to the airport. Transportation was provided courtesy of Faizi :)

I faced a bit of a setback at the security screening. Apparently my bag triggered some sort of an alarm, and had to be checked and swabbed. Fortunately, it came out nothing. The lady was telling me perhaps the overlapping items in my bag caused a false alarm during the scan.  I wonder if I did go into the coffeeshops in Amsterdam, will it have any impact on the swabbing exercise? :)

My flight was so efficient that even though there was still 30 minutes left before take off, the monitor had shown "Final Call". I was the last 3 people to get on board. At least I made it, right?

Btw, the last few pictures are now in Picasaweb.

Faizi and Ijan, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you guys (and the kids) for being great and generous hosts. Next time, I won't feel shy (segan) crashing at your place again. Haha. Nasi Arab is on me!

Comments

  1. kalau single this stories of yours would have inspired me to go on a trip hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. what would be your first choice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's with the one million pounds thingie? reminds me of Ian Rankin novels :) (i tak pernah gi scotland lagi...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sila: i guess it's because it's the money museum, bank of scotland's if i was not mistaken. they not only have 1 million. but 2!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment