Dear Journal,
I came to a realization on Monday that I was sooo unfit. I struggled to complete even a 5K. Heck, with just a mile into my run jog, I almost threw in the towel to abort my run jog. I was content to walk another KM back to the office. To be fair, it was rather humid on that day. As if the Rapture was a couple of days late. And that nagging calf pain decided to show up and keep me company today. I thought after weeks of not running and lazying around, it would have grown tired of waiting and just leave.
Okay, to be honest, it wasn't really my first run in months. With just weeks before my next registered run, I tried getting back on the horse. And by horse, I mean my training. A little bit too late perhaps? Maybe, but it's way better than sitting in the corner and sulk. Don't you agree, Journal?
So 2 weeks ago, I started running a couple of 5K's after work.
So 2 weeks ago, I started running a couple of 5K's after work.
Last week, I ran 8KM on Monday and 10K on Wednesday. It rained on both days as I was making my way back to the office. I was happy when I was soaking wet on Monday, but I wasn't very keen with the prospect of having my second running shoes soaked. Luckily it was only a drizzle.
On Friday, I couldn't just say No to the weekly games of frisbee-and-basketball with my colleagues. Knowing that I have my first LSD the next morning, I've informed my friends beforehand that I would tone it down a notch or 2. It was going as planned until my team was behind 4-0 after just 2 minutes into the frisbee game. I don't mean to brag, Journal but we led 13-6 when we stopped for a break. And we were a man down. How about that?! :)
Saturday came and almost went by like the previous Saturdays. When I woke up, I was shocked that it was already 6:10am. An hour late! Why on earth didn't the alarm go off? Upon further inspection, I did set the alarm at 5:10, but I failed to turn it on. #%$&*@^!!
So instead of taking my sweet time to snack, shower, get dressed and pray, I had to rush it all so that I could be out of the door before the sun was up.
I resorted to the same LSD route that I'm used to. Something familiar so that I'd know where the exit points along the route are. lol! Although the training plan called for a 29K, I knew I wasn't ready for it. To cut it short, I completed the HM distance in 2:30. Or so said my Nike+. I'd be lying if I said that everything was fine and dandy. It wasn't. The last 5Ks was a total mind game. The mind wanted it bad, but the body wasn't up to it. I had to rely on the run-walk strategy. At times running a 200meter was a killer.
Whoops, bedtime's here. I'm down to my final thought of the day. All in all, I survived my first LSD. But the war continues tomorrow. Wish me luck, Journal. I need endless supply of it.
Signing off.
Whoops, bedtime's here. I'm down to my final thought of the day. All in all, I survived my first LSD. But the war continues tomorrow. Wish me luck, Journal. I need endless supply of it.
Signing off.
i dont think i can last one km these few last days ! so u r better than me haaha .. its one of those days ..u will be running and not realising you've surpassed the 5km, easy peasy hehe
ReplyDeletealthough I'm not your journal but I still wish you luck.
ReplyDeleteLuck!
@kak June: thanks for the pick-me-upper ye. 1km? you're just saying that. what's that word? secret training. hehehe
ReplyDelete@Doc: wow, coming from a multiple podium finisher, it sure meant a lot. thanks!
(journal2 ni ikut style Sue Sylvester in Glee ;) )
Dear tuan punya journal. You're a seasoned runner. A few more LSDs and you'll be fine in no time and ready for the big one. All the best of luck bro!
ReplyDeleteDiket
p/s. apah hal dengan google account aku tak boleh leave comment daaa...
wah x fit pon 21km buat sub 2:30...berdesupppp
ReplyDeleteSang penulis jurnal, jurnalmu kubaca dan kufahami, tetapi setelah kuselidik siapa penulisnya, huh! silap hari boleh sub5 dia nih! :P
ReplyDeleteDM, aku pon kes yang sama daa..
ZY
@Anon-1 aka Diket: ada bonggol lak tgh jln nak LSD esok. hmmm... tapi betullah perkataan "seasoned" tu. seasoned bukan veteran. tapi seasoned dah tua tak bermaya. hehehe
ReplyDelete@Ray: Berdesup apa kebendanya. Perli aku ekkkk
@Anon-2 aka ZY: sub5? Err, 21km pun dah struggle, ni kan pula FM. Aku serious ni... betulll
still, i think you're doing a stellar job at training. i'm not progressing beyond the 5-6K sessions...
ReplyDelete