Denver was next in the
"Jalan-jalan jumpa kawan" (meeting up with friends) trip. My Southwest flight took just over 2 hours to get there. It was almost 5pm when we landed, and since I decided to stay away from E-470 (the toll road) to get to my hotel in Englewood, I ended up with an hour on the road with traffic. I wasn't in a hurry anyway.
 |
| Map |
 |
| A plane in the Denver airport |
 |
| My ride for a couple of nites |
I had chosen Candlewood Suites Meridian Business Park in Englewood because it was close to Shade's. He had offered his place for me to crash, but since he had to work the next day, I figured it'd be best if I stayed in a nearby hotel. One good thing about staying in a hotel - you can come and go as you like :)
After checking myself in and freshening up, I headed over to Shade's for some dinner and basketball. The last time I saw the family (him, Marina and Rehan) was 2 years ago when they stopped by in KL. I could have sworn that it was just last year.
Before I started my trip (and until I arrived), I was still unsure what to do in Denver given the short stay that I'd have. The first page of results that Google recommended 'sky diving.' What an excellent idea, except that it's more of a bucket list item. Next time then.
The next morning, I went to Boulder. The guy at Enterprise (the car rental company) yesterday said that Denver may be just like any other city, but Boulder is beautiful. Shade couldn't agree more. I was sold. So I'd do Boulder in the morning and go to the city with Shade when he got off work in the afternoon.
Boulder is roughly 45miles (close to an hour by car) from the hotel. Based on
this article ran by CBS, Boulder was ranked number one in well-being, hence dubbed the happiest place. I couldn't tell for sure but for the looks of the surroundings, you couldn't get fresher air.
I walked through the campus of University of Colorado at Boulder for a bit. Summer class was in session so there weren't that many students out and about. So I set off towards the downtown area and found Pearl Street,
"a four block pedestrian mall". Not too shabby. I found a free map at a kiosk and "Chautauqua Park" caught my attention, so I got back to my car and drove for 5 minutes to get there.
 |
| Part of the University of Colorado at Boulder campus |
The weather was perfect for hiking. Along the path, you'd bump into kids in small groups headed by teachers, counsillors or park staff. I didn't get very far though because I need to go back to Denver to meet up with Shade.
 |
| The signboard - so that I know to spell it later :D |
 |
| Chautauqua |
 |
| The Rocky Mountains range. But the national park and the peak are still some distance away . |
 |
| The University of Colorado at Boulder's campus from a distance |
 |
| Blair Witch was here? |
 |
| Kids going hiking |
 |
| Rocky trail |
 |
| These shoes are not meant for hiking :) |
 |
| That's some view |
It was decided that we would go to the
16th Street Mall - a mile long or so pedestrian mall in the downtown area. We thought we walked from end to end, but it didn't feel like a mile. Anyway... after an early dinner at a sushi place, we made a small detour to go to the City Hall where Rahim informed me that one of its steps is exactly a mile above sea level. It was actually at the nearby State Capitol.
 |
| Going downtown |
 |
| We're here |
 |
| Shade's finding the nearest sushi place with good reviews :) |
 |
| I couldn't help it. It was asking for it :D |
 |
| Shade was not impressed at all. Hahaha. I don't blame him :) |
 |
| On the other side. Not too sure what it meant. |
 |
| The City Hall |
 |
| The State Capitol is on the other end |
 |
Now where did I put that broom at?
|
 |
| "Broncho Buster" -- I looked it up in Wikipedia :) |
 |
| Found it! |
 |
| 1 mile. 5280 feet. 1609.34 meters. |
 |
| The view from the State Capitol |
We hung around downtown just before sun down. Shade dropped me off at the hotel and we said our goodbyes.
Till we meet again Shade. Thanks for everything!
U shd have strike the sky diving thing fom the bucket list :)
ReplyDeletekak June mmg terbaeek la, baru post terus reply :D
Deleteyeah, I really wanted to. Tapi nak carik tpt lawa utk terjun, mcm tepi laut ke :)
before you skydive, ensure your will is up to date. lol. tapi lawa boulder. nice hiking. good place to lose weight for sila?
ReplyDeleteso, if it's a mile high does that mean you have less of a drop if you skydive there, than if you skydived at sea level? hehe
sebab tu tak jadi skydive :D and you may have a point there :)
Deleteboulder is nice, but i'll trade it with that farm in ohio. dekat sikit dgn kings island :D
haha! betul jugak. plus i would totally be excited about the pokok durian, cempedak and manggis bonsai!!! :D boleh smuggle buah kecik masuk kings island!
Deletehehehe... more places that i have not been before so i'm living it via your blog for now ;)
ReplyDeletei'm trying to persuade F to go skydiving in bled but i don't think he's biting the bait... i may still go for it myself. let's see what's the mood like when i hit the area :D
Oh man, I'm jealous now! Cant wait to hear/read abt it.
Delete(You're on a roll with the blog commenting. Hehe. I'll get to them soon ok)