US Trip: Lake Tahoe

So where were we?  Right, Davis.

Next in the itinerary is Lake Tahoe, which according to Google Map, is 266 miles round-trip from Davis.  2.5 hours each way.  Em didn't come with us because she'd like to get some work done.  Besides, she was already in her second trimester.

I've never been to Tahoe, so I was excited.

Sacramento and Davis lie in the Valley so their elevations are almost negligible.  Then you have Lake Tahoe, with "a surface elevation of 6,224 feet (1,897 m)". Thanks Wikipedia :)  So all along the way, you'd see pine trees after pine trees, a clear indication that you have an increase in elevation.  Gene pointed out to me the poles that lined up the side of the road --  for helping out the snowplows during the winter season; so that they'd know of the edge of the road.  They get taller and taller as you get nearer to Lake Tahoe.
We took I-80 to get to Tahoe and used US-80 on the trip back.

We stopped for food at Truckee, with about 20 kilometres to go before reaching Lake Tahoe.  I'd call it brunch because I had egg and cheese on a croissant :) 

Places that we went to at Lake Tahoe
The next stop was 'Alpine Meadows', one of the ski resorts in the Lake Tahoe area.  It was nice to see there was still some snow (or rather ice/slush) on the ground.
This is how it's done, says the man

The gate and the snow gets this high in the winter time.

Tadaaa... haha.  Shows that I never skied or snowboarded before :D
Okay I admit, I wasn't as graceful as Gene.

Postcard

We made a brief stop to check out the dam near Tahoe City.
Not much water to be released because so far they only got about a third of last year's 300" inches of snow

So clear!  And it was in the low 50s.

Paddle boat, which Gene just doesn't get it :D

On the way to 'Heavenly' (another ski resort near South Lake Tahoe), we went on a hiking trail that offered superb views of the Emerald Bay.
You jump, I won't jump

We didn't go beyond this.  Next time then.

That is some rock

Gene laying the last rock :D

Emerald Bay

Those shoes for hiking?  Haha. I didn't pack well you see.

Gene was at it again :)  He came here once before in the winter and of course there were no steps to be found

You can take the ferry to South Lake.  And I didn't dare to go by the waterfall

When we arrived at Heavenly, we found out that the gondola ride was closed.  Bah humbug!  So we filled up the void with driving around, melepak (hung out) at a public beach and hiked up another trail which is popular with dirt bikes and ATVs.  When we were on the hill, there was constant gust of wind, which was our best bet why the gondola ride was closed to the public.
One of the ski lifts at Heavenly

Yes we hope we could get to Heaven

At a public beach.  Those tall buildings are the Nevada casinos just after the stateline
Breathtaking view at the trail

The trail meant for ATVs, dirt bikes and snow mobiles (in the winter)

Okay, that took care of Lake Tahoe.  Sorry if I didn't put in more effort into the story.  I hope the pictures did tell some.  Gene has a few pictures of me in them.  I'd update this post later when I have them in my possession.

Comments

  1. we were there in 1994 and its sooo beautiful kan??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos. It's totally perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kak June: it was definitely beautiful. tons of things to do in any season - from hiking to rafting, from skiing to biking. My friend said "it's a happy place" :)

    Diket: Thanks bro. I appreciate it. Camera tak berapa canggih. Tapi yg kecik tu pun dah rasa malas nak bawak :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful!! remind me to only go in the summer though, tengok that snow is so high in the winter. 300 inches? that is 300 inches too many for sila! lol. btw, nice sliding. rofl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, i can't imagine the snow would get that high. the year before they (not sure if it was this resort) collected some snow, stashed it in one location and opened up for 4th of July. that was how much it snowed.

      Delete
    2. my goodness. trying to imagine the Warehouse 13-esque size they kept the snow in order to open on 4th of july weekend!!

      Delete
  5. taking some notes from here - i'm expected to do a wee bit of hike next week in bled so bought a new pair of hiking shoes today! (lake tahoe looks cool)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment