It's come down to my last day in the Boston, and the States in general. You know the saying - All good things must come to an end. Sigh.
That Saturday morning, Stef had a soccer game. Cynthia and I made it known to him that we'd really like to go but he refused to take us along :D Nonetheless, I had a really great time chit-chatting with Cynthia.
Terima kasih banyak-banyak Stef and Cynthia! Don't you guys worry for not making time for me. You were already generous enough for putting a roof above my head and for feeding me, among others ;)
It was great hanging out with you too Zack. That gluten-free diet is sure working its magic. And I thought halal was tough :)
Hope to see you guys soon!
 |
| With my wonderful hosts |
 |
| I look so tiny! |
When I bought my ticket, I chose a seat in the upper deck's Economy class, which only takes up a third of the upper deck. It turned out to be a good choice because there were lesser fellow economy class passengers and we got on-board/disembark quicker (after the business class passengers).
Our plane was an hour late. But what surprised me was the fact SIA went to trouble to notify each passenger with a letter of apology upon checking at the counter and to prepare some snacks while we were waiting at the gate. Now that's what I call hospitality and winning customers' hearts.
 |
| Letter of apology |
 |
| The closest I got to NYC :D |
 |
| That's some beast |
 |
| Even had to be towed to the gate |
 |
| At the upper deck |
 |
| Killing some time |
 |
| When I opted for Muslim food, I didn't necessarily mean Indian. |
I literally went around the world this time around. I entered the States via LA and I left via NY. I've set my eyes on flying on board an A380, so that left me with Emirates and Singapore Airlines. Emirates has a 6 hour-layover in the dead hours of the night in Dubai, so that was a bit of a turned off. Although with stops in Frankfurt and then Singapore, I'd arrive in KUL sooner and would have almost a full day of rest before going to work the next day. Yup, I went to work the next day itself. I need to keep those precious vacation days for next year you know :) Let me just say it's not the US.
But I hope to be back, say in 2 to 3 years' time.
Insya-Allah (God willing). There are still places to see and things to do. I'd really like to go to the Pacific Northwest that includes Seattle and Vancouver. And there's skydiving and marathon(s) and more roller-coasters to be done ;) For the very least, there are close friends to hung out with and great food to be had. It'd surely provide an escape from the daily routine and craziness over here. At times I feel sad that our
budi-bahasa (courtesy? disposition?) is on a sharp decline. You don't have to look far for examples. Just take a look at our mannerism on the road and human interaction on a daily basis. We've come to the point that we need video campaigns on telly to remind us to give seats for the elderly or those in need on the train and to put back the seats before leaving our table at the restaurants. Oh, come on people.
I still remembered when I first got offered the chance to study in the States. I was utterly disappointed for not going to the UK. Thanks to two elder brothers who were then studying in England, the UK-styled education that I was exposed to growing up and a number of high school friends who got the offers instead. I know next to nothing about the US of A, apart from what was depicted in the news, tv shows and movies, like A-team, Airwolf, Knight Rider, MacGyver, Manimal, V and... and... Star Wars. Okay, I admit. These are not the kind of examples that I should have written down :D Anyway, going to Indiana (as opposed to LA) didn't help either. Indiana University's brochure mentioned how cold it could get in the winter. "-40 degrees Fahrenheit" as I recalled it. Gulp!
I was on the receiving end of a "culture shock". The good one mind you. Their
Hellos,
How are yous,
Excuse mes and
Thank yous would have blown away our then "Smiles" campaign to smithereens. People stop for pedestrians (even when you're jaywalking), make way for emergency services (both sides of the road!) and take turns at a 4-way junction. On this side of the world, if the traffic light was out, there'd be a deadlock at the junction. Drivers are so
kiasu for not wanting to lose their spots on the road, that only way they would give way for the ambulance is when they'd get rammed by one from behind. Sheesh!
I did get the chance to visit the UK 2 years after I stepped foot in the States, to attend my brother's graduation. I got to see a little bit of London, a lot of Nottingham and some of Glasgow and Edinburgh. I was happy that I ended studying in the US. It's not saying that there's anything bad about the UK at all. I guess the US fits me better.
Without doubt, it was not always sunny. Being a minority in a foreign land was a humbling experience and one that I cherish. People over here could learn a thing or two.
Of course, there are definitely positive sides (to living in Malaysia). The sense of belonging. Families are closer (especially location-wise). So much easier to practice my faith. Halal food is aplenty.
Masjids (mosques) and
suraus are practically everywhere.
Nonetheless, with all the things happening around me and all over the world, I've learned to appreciate the littlest things and be thankful to God Almighty. Life in this world is indeed temporary. It's the afterlife that we should all be striving for. So let's make take advantage of this holy month to equip ourselves for the long journey ahead.
Insya-Allah
Okay, enough babbling for now. The "Anything goes" blog title should give some of indication, no? :) See you guys...
Good series zarin, I totally enjoyed it !
ReplyDeletepergh...best tu bro jalan sorang2....
ReplyDeletea) nostalgic about boston now
ReplyDeleteb) wow, siap dapat apology letter???
c) He knows where to put us to make us happiest (i pun nak gi UK dulu but in the end i think my place is exactly where i went and where i am, as He guides us along)
d) don't go into hyblognation!!!
e) come back soon, zarin! :)