I just got back from a brief holiday in KK (Kota Kinabalu) and Miri. While it's the norm to start off the blog with the correct sequence, I'll mix things a bit by doing them in reverse, with a sizable chance I won't even get to the beginning.
Sebab kecewa punya pasal. (Due to a huge disappointment) Hahahaha. We shall see ;)
2 years ago, I've gotten the chance play 'host' to a highschool friend and her family - taking them around - when they were in KL. Ever since I've been wanting to check out Miri. Without me realizing it, a couple of years had passed.
Since I've made plans to go to KK, I'd be that much closer to Miri. So it didn't take long for me to decide upon a stop in Miri albeit a one-night stay. I've talked to a few people asking their opinions of the city. Most of them said there's nothing much that Miri could offer. A colleague who hailed from Miri echoed the same sentiment. Well, the main priority was to meet up with my friend and her family. Anything else would be a bonus, really. Since it'd be my first visit, I would certainly gain something out of it.
Flight: The flight operated by MASwings used the ATR-72 twin-engine turboprop plane. It was quite intimidating to see the huge propellers right outside your window.
 |
| just outside of my window |
Hotel: I stayed at Meritz hotel. Apart from the ongoing work on the facade and stairwell, it's a darn good hotel.
 |
| My room's facing the sea |
 |
| Bungee jumping anyone? LOL! |
|
Jalan-jalan cari makan (Food):
At dinner, An and Main introduced me to
sayur midin and
nasi lalapan.
Sedaaaaaap! (De-lisshhh!) Apparently there are others that I have yet to try out.
Bubur pedas (spicy porridge) for one
 |
| (pic courtesy of An) |
Mee kolok was in the next day's lunch menu. Two thumbs up!
Sightseeing
Main and An drove me around Luak Bay, where the rich and famous live. Huge roman pillers that are 3 to 4 storeys high and concrete fences that seemed to go on forever are dead giveaways. But the authorities need to do something with the huge turnouts of
mat rempits along the stretch.
Canada Hill, where the Grand Old Lady is situated; the first oil well.
 |
| There she is. |
 |
| Round and round we go |
The next day before leaving for home, I spent time with An and her family rooting for their sons who participated in the Miri Open Age Group tournament. They did have some serious competition and it was great to see all that.
 |
| Nervously looking on |
 |
| Intense |
 |
| Family pic, minus the dad who was sitting in the back |
Last but not least, I'd think a visit to Sarawak, no matter how short it is, is not complete without the obligatory run to get some
kek lapis (layered cakes) :D
 |
| 4 types of kek lapis |
I definitely need to return for a visit to the Mulu National Park and Brunei. And for the food of course ;) Soon... I hope.
Terima kasih Main & An. Korang memang terbaek lah. Jumpa lagi Abang & Adeq. Insya-Allah
welkom bek..mana manggis? he he
ReplyDeletehahaha. belum musim lagi. nanti dah musim & ada rezeki, insyaAllah sure ingat kengkawan ;)
DeleteSo that's Miri. Looks great. Aku cuma tau Miri pasal minyak & Miri Triathlon aje. Hahaha. Yes, Mulu National Park memang aku plan nak pi.
ReplyDeletelebih kuranglah cam tu Miri nya. hehehe. tapi Taman Negara tu mmg kena pergi satu hari ni
Delete