EU 2013: Toledo

Toledo...  Toledo, Spain. Not Toledo, Ohio.  Although, I wouldn't have minded if it was Toledo OH because it'd be closer to Middletown and Cedar Point :)

Toledo was just a tad over half an hour southwest of Madrid by train.
Madrid a Toledo



They even have a City Tour bus
A good friend asked how I had decided upon Toledo.  Well, given the 3 nights that I could spare in Madrid, I doubted that I would need that many days to check out Madrid.  So I got to know of Segovia and Toledo, 2 worthwhile day trips from Madrid.  It took some time and a few forums to decide between the two.  It wasn't easy.  Segovia has great landmarks like its Roman aqueduct and its Alcázar, which the later apparently breathed some inspiration into Disney's Cinderella Castle.  I wish I had an extra day, then I didn't have to flip a coin.
Segovia's Aqueduct, Alcázar and Catedral (pictures taken from respective landmark's Wiki page)

Rain was again in the cards. Malaysians don't tend to carry umbrellas around even though there's like 90% chance of precipitation. Lol. But to my defense I was on vacation so having an umbrella would impose some space and weight in my luggage.  I did have a couple of disposable raincoats at my disposal (pun intended) for those emergency cases.  Fortunately, the rain here wasn't as heavy and didn't last long like that of at home. So in between the rain spells I did get to visit most of landmarks that Toledo has to offer.
Making use of the maps found all around town to show the path that I had taken on that day

The moment you stepped off the train, you'd already be snapping your camera away.  Even the train station has a piece of history.
Arriving at Toledo's train station
Even the toilets blend well with the theme


The interior of the train station
 
Blue skies kept playing hide-and-seek all day

Puente de Alcántara was a short walk from the train station.   With the Alcázar in the background perched on the top of the hill, and the bridge spanning across the Targus River, it has to be one of the best photo-taking ops here.
The first sight of the old city as you're coming from the train station


Puente de Alcántara and Alcazár


Stitching made possible by Windows Live Photo Gallery


The bridge up close and personal

I then walked to Alcázar. Somebody chimed in in a forum that no pictures were allowed to be taken in the inside (just like the one in Madrid), so I didn't bother of gaining entrance.



My next stop was the Jesuitas (Iglesia de San Ildefonso), which offered possibly the best views of the old city from its rooftops.



The Catedral was my next in my list and it was the best choice to wait out the rain :D
The fast approaching rain clouds








I couldn't be certain what this could be


When it pours, it pours


The Cathedral's courtyard
Interesting
I was on my way to Museo de Greco in the old Jewish quarter when I took a wrong turn in the small alleys and got lost. I ended up by the river on the south side of the old town. It turned out to be blessing in disguise because of the spectacular views.
Convento de Santa Isabel de los Reyes


I believe this was ruins of a Bath




Don Quijote's Route


Puente de San Martin
I skipped Museo de Greco and headed towards the direction of Puerta del Sol.  For no apparent reason, my camera was acting up upon arrival at Puente de San Martin.  I brought 2 backup batteries, but when I inserted both of them (one after another) my camera complained of low battery.  I thought I had charged them the night before.  So the rest of the pictures were taken on my phone.  (When I got back to the hotel to charge up my batteries, they refused to be charged because they were already showing full bar.  I inserted them in my camera and yes siree, they were showing full battery strength.  What gives?!  I guess it was one of those things... )


Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes


Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes


Puerta del Cambrón


Puente de San Martin

from here onwards, these pictures were taken on my mobile phone...




From Puerta del Cambrón, I got lost once again when attempting to navigate through the small alleyways that weren't drawn to scale in my map.  Thankfully I came out near the Mezquita Cristo de Luz and Puerta del Sol which was the intended destination.
Mezquita Cristo de Luz




Puerta del Sol

I was over at Puerta de Alfonso VI when it started to pour.  Thankfully I could take shelter at the nearby Puerta de Bisagra Nueva (main entrance to the old city).  The rain was the heaviest and longest one yet.
Puerta de Bisagra




Puerta de Alfonso VI (right) and Puerta de Bisagra (far left)



Puerta de Alfonso VI
Puerta de Alfonso VI


"Angkat kain di jemuran, hari dah hujan"


Hospital de Tavera


Iglesia Santiago del Arrabal


Waiting for the rain to stop

When the sun came out again to play, I hurriedly walked back to Plaza de Zocodover passing by Puerta del Sol. Before you know it, it was time to head back to the train station and hop on the train back to Madrid.








Don Quixote (near Plaza Zocodover)

I must say 6 hours wouldn't be enough if you plan to enter some of the museums/sites (like Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes, Museo de Greco, Sinagoga del Tránsito, Puerta del Sol, etc) and to take your time at each place.  You could get several more precious hours by taking a much later train to Madrid.  Whatever your decision is don't forget your walking shoes and be prepared for some inclines. Of course there's always the bus, taxi and (road) "train-carriage".

So, that's Toledo and it wraps up my Spain trip.  Is that it?  Am I done?  To be honest, I went to London right after Madrid to catch a flight home after staying 3 nights in the city.  I'm still contemplating whether I should write a brief post on London because I already have written one from my 2011 trip and also I didn't really go anywhere new this time.  We shall see.

Oh yeah, you could browse through my Flickr album for those pictures taken in Toledo.

Comments

  1. After years of living in Dublin, I don't go anywhere without an umbrella anymore. Not even when the forecast says sunny and 30C :p

    On the other side, really? Really? You just had to dangle such wonderful temptation in front of me and now I feel like I ought to squeeze Toledo somewhere in my travel list? Life is tough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mintak ampun. i don't mean it. my posting was out before yours did. hehehe. I was really grateful I came to know of Toledo. If you're there, Segovia would be a stone's throw away. My friend had also told me of Salamanca, but like I said, I was left with 0.3 day of leave (not even half-a day) left. LOL!

      Delete
    2. pergh!! jauh kau merantau bro!!

      Delete

Post a Comment