US 2014 (viii): Outer Banks and little bit more of NC

I arrived in RDU close to midnight on Friday because I was traveling from the West and across 3 timezones. After we had breakfast the next morning, PS and I headed out eastwards to Outer Banks. The kids had Mandarin classes so they stayed behind with their mom.

The drive to Kill Devil Hills, where the Wright Brothers Memorial site is, took us 3.5 hours give or take. There was nothing much to see along the way except for several lavendar farms, a gunshop and a few beware of red fox and bear crossing signs as we got closer to the coast. But the company and talk made it fun ;)
Cary on far left and the Outer Banks on the far right


Crossing the Alligator River
It was very fitting that during this trip I flew to Dayton, went the Museum of Flight in Seattle and visited the grounds of the "first controlled, powered airplane flights" in the town of Kill Devil Hills; Kitty Hawk was 4 miles to the north and the town of Kill Devil Hills was incorporated in 1953.

The Memorial site has a visitor center (where it houses full-scale reproduction of the 1902 glider & 1903 flying machine), markers for the 4 flights, a monument commemorating the 100th year of the flights and a sculpture of the first flight.
The Visitor Center

Portrait of the Wright Brothers


A National Parks staff giving a talk

The only photograph that was captured


:)

The stone markers

Living quarters and hangar, and the monument in the distance

Inside the reconstructed hangar




We didn't walk to the 4th stone marker, which is 852 feet away


Almost there

View from the monument atop the hill

The sculpture of the first flight


The North Atlantic Ocean



PS kept asking me to take more and more pictures, something that I seldom do :D





Outer Banks is also famous for its lighthouses, but since 200 miles long end-to-end we just went to the nearest one, Bodie Island.
(Taken from visitob.com)
(Taken from usalights.com)
Brodie Island light house in person


Manual photostitching :)



These are lavenders right?

The next day the Lims and I went to the flea market, had lunch, drove around in Durham and stopped by at the mall to let the kids play at the Lego store. Some light activities yet quality time together. It was what I set to do - hung out with friends ;)
The BookBot @NC State library.

I need to get me one of these :)

American Tobacco Historic District in Durham



The Lims ( pending permission from them ;) )



PS had already thrown out ideas of what to do for my next visit - the mountains, South Carolina beaches, etc. *lol!*

Thank you PS and the rest of the Lims for welcoming me with open arms. Hopefully I'll see you guys soon enough. God willing ;)

Comments

  1. i've never been to the outer banks. hmmm now teringin pulak nak pergi. of course, you know the wright brothers might have done their first flight in NC but they are born and raised in ohio (dayton, i think!). and most of their research done here as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment