US 2016 (ii): Roadtrip - Elkhart and Pittsburgh

Roadtrip! Middletown-Elkhart-Pittsburgh-Middletown
By the time I arrived at the blue house, Sila and Vin had told me that they already had a roadtrip in store for all of us. It'd be just into 3 days of my stay in Middletown. Oh wow! Thanks you guys. (And sorry for sleeping for most of the time at the back of the van :D)

Our main stops would be Elkhart and Pittsburgh. I did touch a little bit on our visit to Elkhart a couple of years ago. But too bad the weather wasn't cooperating this time around; it wasn't a boating weather. Nonetheless it was warm and pleasant in Becky and Phil's house because the entire family welcomed us with open arms. And we don't want to forget mentioning about the good company, laughs (re: embarrassing moments and Rebecca Lobo :'D), and the food, do we? Yes, food - Salad, lasagna and brownies. Nomnomnom :).
Sitting at the back with Yaya


Can'\t see Adik in his chair :)

Gloomy morning -- view from the hotel room

View from Becky and Phil's house

I want my own house by the lake and my own pontoon boat, pretty please please :)


Rayball, invented by Becky and Phil's neighbor Ray. Hence it's called Rayball ;). A supersized pingpong game using tennis balls. It was awesome!

The paddle

Sila, Becky and Phil in action.  I was standing in my own corner not wanting to be in the way :)
We had an extra night and Vin wanted to split the journey to Pittsburgh. So on our way to Pittsburgh, we called Perrysburg home for a night, which is close to Toledo.

Red Lobster for lunch ... Salad and New England Clam Chowder as starters

Tomato and Mozzarella Caprese

Mine

Sila's

They reminded me of the time my college friends treated me with a lobster dinner. Apparently a more humane act to kill a lobster is by jabbing the knife in between the eyes

Wefie with the kids :)

Walking around to get some steps for Sila ;)

Here's for mom who likes flowers :)

Sushi for dinner :)
Dah besar panjang dah diaorang ni
The gang at breakfast the next day
It's a blurry picture but I like it :)

The Toledo mosque. Cool

We stayed in Pittsburgh for 2 nights. The main highlight was the Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago Cubs baseball at the PNC Park. But since the game was not until the next day, Sila and I decided to walk to the Hard Rock Cafe, which wasn't too far away from our hotel, before hunting for dinner. Besides, Sila needed to put in some steps for the day's target ;). We did see a lot of the city. The city that I almost went to college to. Besides Brown, I also got an acceptance letter from Carnegie Mellon. I don't know how would my life be if I were to go and study in Pittsburgh. Sila said for certain that I would not get the fun times that the both of us had when I paid her visits.
We are here!

The room was kinda big for one person. Thanks Vin and Sila! :)

What a way to get some shuteye

The view from our rooms - Not too sure what that building is

View from the other side of our rooms

Happy campers! :)


UPMC tower

On the way to HRC

Has a Venice feel to this bridge :)


Barge on the Monongahela River

The Station Square area

The Smithfield Bridge 

Obligatory picture :)

Part of the Pittsburgh skyline. The building on the left, the One PPG, looks like a crystal castle to me :)

Some shrimp pasta for me

The next day after breakfast, we walked to PNC Park. It is indeed a remarkable stadium, situated by the Allegheny River, with a view of the downtown skyline.

Heading towards the PNC Park

Take me out to the ball game

Adik with his noise-cancellation headphones

Almost there

#jangankecamsaya :D

Sila and Adik. Vin and Yaya were way ahead of us :)

There it is. PNC Park, home of the Pittsburgh Pirates

View from inside of the ballpark

While standing in line for tickets

The Renstroms. Adik wasn't ready for pictures just yet



It's a cool looking ballpark

We are in the fair territory.. where are our gloves? :)

With my partner in crime
Somehow it didn't feel right to make a mess. Hehehe

Sila's zooming in and checking out the players in the dugout at the other side of the ballpark :D



The game is in progress

The Pirate Parrot shooting the t-shirt bazooka

The Pierogi race. Hilarious! :D

Leaving the ballpark after the game. Cubs won
Every time I come States side, at least for the last 3 visits including this recent one, I've been treated to a baseball game at a major league ballpark. Great American Ballpark (Reds'), Wrigley Field (Cubs'), Fenway (Go Red Sox!) and this year, PNC Park (Pirates'). I'm so pampered :). When we were walking back to our hotel after the ball game, Vin even mentioned that we could go as far as to Baltimore for the next roadtrip, because Camden Yard is another great ballpark. Woah! That's some incentive to come back.
Waiting for Sila to go out for dinner hunting

All geared up. All smiles because the 10K step target would be easy peasy :)

Just make sure we don't forget the pierogis for Vin
Salmon with some Asian sauce
The next day came so soon...

Breakfast on the last day


Checking out the Penguins' store before leaving. I didn't get anything because I'm more of a Bruins fan ;)
...
... and then we made the long drive home. Well Vin did :). We all made it back with ample time to do some grocery shopping for the soccer games because Sila and Vin were the snack parents :)

Dalam Walmart pun nak selfie ke? :D

The chips' aisle

A very useful 'turntable' at the checkout counters. They need to bring these over

Comments

  1. hahaha action packed betul this post! LOL. the pierogi race made me laugh. but those were some good pierogies (to eat, not to race)!

    i love that pic of adik walking with me to PNC park. adik betul stylin' and mama dia nerdy hahahaha. kasut pun merah! but now his favorite shoes are the skechers shoes yang dia pilih kat the outlet mall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe... kerna terpaksa.
      trying to come up with the least number of posts as possible. ni dah nak puasa ni, pun ada kesan gak :).

      yeah, dah bujang dah. pilih kasut sendiri. and they were the first pair he saw. senang cerita :)

      Delete

Post a Comment