US 2016 (vii): Boston

I did a quick check on my previous Boston posts (2012and 2014) and it seems that I don't have to write a lot this time around. So that's it folks. This is my Boston entry. Thanks for reading! :D

Okay, okay.. I'll try to write more than that :D
We meet again :)

It was a very laid back stay in Boston. Stef and Cynthia once again welcomed me as their guest, which I was so thankful for. And on this trip, I had the chance to meet their 18-month old Felix, a fellow Scorpio :). When I was in town in May 2014, Cynthia was still pregnant with Felix.

Ain't he cute! And oh the eyes!

Playing with his trains


On that Thursday, after Stef and Cynthia left to send Felix to daycare and then to go to work, I wandered around downtown to get the last few souvenirs for the folks at home.  At first I thought of going to Providence for a brief visit, but it's a 45 minute to 1 hour journey by bus or train, each way. So I decided to give it a miss. Perhaps I'd come back for my 20th reunion in 2 years' time. But that's still up in the air because reunion tends to be a formal event. Based on my experience for the 10th, it was kinda hard to hang out with friends especially when they came with their families. And the school is sure to expect more donations now because it has been 20 years after graduation, and you're supposed to have pockets full of money by now. All I can say is, don't look at me. Ask the next guy :D.

The Green line trains. When I arrived in Boston, Stef asked me to look out for the LED signboards in the train to announce the upcoming station :)

Stopping by TD Garden to check out the Bruins/Celtics store


I haven't been on the duck boats before

Another trip to HRC Boston :D

A very crowded Quincy Market


The Custom House Tower in the distance
Then I took the T to get towards Harvard Square, for old times sake :).
The Red Line, our main transportation way back when.. I texted Sila telling her that the Red line trains used to be new. She replied by saying that 'We used to be new, Zarin'. Hahahaha. That's a winner!

The skyline and the Charles River


Harvard Square - I could still connect with it even though shops have come and gone

People taking turns taking pictures with the John Harvard square... Go on the net to read about the lies about the statue

Walking around the campus

One of the libraries on campus
Then Zack, an old college friend came to have a drink with me. Before we said our goodbyes, we did some walking from Hardvard Square until MIT. Hope to see you again Zack the next time I come visit.

MIT's Stata center which was designed by Frank Gehry

Zack, my tour guide of the afternoon

Googling up something :)

Good to see you again Zack!

Cynthia doesn't work on Fridays, so we took Felix out to the Franklin Zoo. He really knows his animals and animal sounds.

It was a zoo at the zoo. It seemed like kids from all of the schools in the Boston area were here today :D



Gorillas - One of the animal species that Felix likes 


We stopped for lunch

He's sooooo adorable!


Playing on the swing

:)

Later in the evening after Felix had a nap and I was all packed up for tonight's flight home, we went downtown to get Stef and took a stroll in the Greenway. When the elevated highway was removed and moved underground under the Big Dig project, the vacated area is made into the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

Ai WeiWei's Zodiac Heads temporary art installation was cool and creepy at the same time.


Not really a very flattering Rabbit

Paying homage to my sister(s) :D




The best one IMO

Thanks for everything guys! You guys are awesome ;)



Bubor Cha Cha is a type of dessert. And this is a seafood restaurant.. What ever works for them right? :)

One of the parks on the Greenway
After 13 hours of flight from Boston, we finally landed in Doha. Another 7 hours to go for Kuala Lumpur. By the time I passed the security checks, I just had to wait for 1.5 hours for my KL flight.

Urs Fischer's Lamp Bear ... "a 23-foot canary yellow teddy bear sculpted from bronze, that sits peacefully inside a lamp". Huh

Another selfie with another type of bear :D
So after 20 hours of flight from Boston and 2 hours of transit, I've finally reached KL. The most-used phrase for anyone who returns home - "Your country is so hot and humid" - rings true. It took me more than a week to work on my jetlag. The arrival of Ramadhan is not helping either :D. Of course, I'd do the travel again if I have the time and money :).

Later in the same week, I went back to Melaka to see my parents. And mom without fail had cooked delicious meals. I remembered when I returned home after graduation, mom asked me what I felt like eating. Siput sedut masak lemak Hehehe. They are obtuse horn shell or mud creepers. I had to google that  one of course :D. And that reminds me that I have yet to try out siput sedut!</> since I came back. Doh!
Udang galah masak lemak, ikan masak asam, sayur sotong. Thanks mak! ... Now these dishes are making me salivating... Doh!
And here are some interesting surprises when I was in my kampung. Mangosteens and rambutans are fruiting. Dad says they'll ripe in 2-3 months time. Woohoo!
Another 2-3 months before they are ripe







Comments