Even though the weather forecast predicted scattered showers and thunderstorms for Sintra, I still went ahead with my plan to go to Sintra on that Friday (May the 5th). Several travel websites do warn that they'd be more tourists on the weekends especially during this time of the year. The one website that I could recommend and plug here is Sintra-Portugal. Since I've been there, I tend to agree. The buses were packed like sardinhas as the day progressed (pun intended since we are in Portugal... hehehe).
Sintra is about 40 minutes from Lisbon by train
I had planned to catch the 8:41am train from Rossi train station. That meant an early rise and breakfast. The heavens opened up a bit as I walked down the Liberdade avenue but I came prepared with my parka and umbrella.
You can use the Viva Viagem on the CP trains as well
After 40 minutes and right on schedule, the train pulled into Sintra train station. Just outside, Bus 434 (the recommended mode of transportation to get around Sintra) was waiting. By the time the bus got moving, it was standing room only.
The bus dropped me off at point A, then you need to follow the path to the Moors Castle. After I was done with it, I walked to Pena Palace
The first stop was that of the town/National Palace. I skipped it and got off at the Castelo dos Mouros stop. The bus performs a loop, so you could put aside the town until the very end.
It was drizzling as I was walking in the woods but by the time I passed the gate and walked around in the courtyard, the sun greeted us. Alhamdulillah (Thank the Almighty).
Are you ready to embark on an adventure?
The umbrellas are out
To the left, to the left
Castle in the Woods... sounds like a good horror film title
Arms Square
You could walk along the walls (are they battlements, parapets or something else? I don't know my castle terms :D)) from one end to the other, while enjoying spectacular views of the surrounding area. To the north, you could see the town and Palace of Sintra, while to the south, there's the Pena Palace perched high on top of the hill.
The red lines represents the perimeter walls
Door of Betrayal - "an escape door to the outside, and it allowed enemies to access the inside" as written in the brochure
The National Palace and the town of Sintra
I offered to take picture of a girl and her mom, so they repaid the kindness :)
Nope, this is not the Titanic
I didn't wait for the bus to get to Pena Palace. It's just a short walk away but you need to overcome a bit of a climb.
If you wonder what's with the red and yellow, well red represents the old monastery and yellow denotes the New Palace. Apart from that, you have to consult Mr. Google for any other questions that you might have :D.
I was there earlier! :). And no, that's not my middle finger :D
I also purchased a ticket to go inside the palace.
The bust of King Ferdinand II
The dining area
Restoration works in progress.
Going from room to room
One of the bedrooms
The bathroom :)
Pretty nifty desk
The Great Hall - "main space for hosting receptions"
The kitchen area. Find the durian :)
The palace also boasts over 200 hectares of forested area (thanks to Wikipedia for this hehehe). I only covered until the Valley of the Lakes.
I can't decide whether that's a real tree or not
Hot house
Fountain of the Small Birds - "Islamic style pavilion"
The brochure states that's actually a duck house. Woah!
Yet another duck house :D
I then hitched a ride to town on Bus 434. There was a long line at the bus stop, but thankfully almost everyone in the bus disembarked at Pena because it is one of the more popular tourist site here in Sintra.
After seeing both Moors and Pena castles, I decided to give the National Palace a miss. I wasn't that keen for another palace. Hehehe.
Ate sardines for snacks :)
They can't escape me. Muahahaha!
I believe I took the 5 o'clock train back to Lisbon. Since I wanted to get something from El Corte Ingles, I decided to get dinner from the restaurant at the top floor.
Back at Parque Eduardo VII. Well, I was just passing by to get to the mall :D
Comments
Post a Comment