I did give it a thought to take the train from Oslo to Stockholm. As you can see from the map below, it is close to 6 hours by train and the train timetable wasn't very appealing to me, especially when I just set a couple of nights for Stockholm. So in the end, I took the option of just flying there :).
Moh kita :)
I took the the airport coach operated by Flygbussarna to the city, which costed me 99 SEK - about 40 to 45 ringgit give or take. It was one of the cheapest transportation mode from the airport. Cheap is relative, because with 45 ringgit, that's close to the ERL express train from KLIA to the KL city :). Anyhoo..
I've set my eye on Downtown Camper when I was searching for a hotel to stay in Stockholm, even when I've only just started. It has that cool vibe to it, and I can attest to it, since I've already been there.
Don't people share comforters here in Stockholm?
While I liked my room, there's a city to explore and I didn't have that much time. So let's do that, shall we?
The hotel was just a stone throw away from Gamla Stan, the old town. So that was an added bonus. The Royal Palace, Stortoget, and the Nobel Museum are to name a few of the places of interest here. And there's also Jarnpojke, which is one of the coolest little iron guy in Gamla Stan. The internet says he's 15cm tall, and I thought he was much smaller than that. People would clothe him, especially in the winter and today, he was seen wearing a purple scarf.
Day 1's walking route
The Opera house
Nearing the Parliament House
Karl XIV statue, the King of Sweden in the early 19th century
The Finnish Church
And in the courtyard you'd find Järnpojke
The scarf is definitely keeping him warm as he looks at the moon
Nobel Museum
Stortoget
This is the Katarina Elevator. I couldn't find the way up to the platform. But I also read that there wasn't much to see with all of the construction going on down below
The Katarina Elevator
Nonetheless, I still got a good view of the city further up the street
That's Gronalund across the water, which is a theme park
The City Hall is on the one on the left
Since there was still time before night fall, I took the metro to see where Hard Rock Cafe was :D. And I came across the library, which I recognized from the picture at Ikea at home, as I was walking from the metro station.
Came back in time for a gorgeous sunset...
Believe it or not, Ikea was the one that inspired me to make the trip to Stockholm this year, or to be precise, last year. Pictures of the Gamla Stan in the hallway leading up to the prayer room when I dropped by after work day in day out made their case, and I was thankful that they did :)
Comments
Post a Comment