A new year, a new chapter 😃. I guess I'll get this post started while the memories are still fresh. Especially at this age 😃.
Friends have asked if I've ever been to Japan. The answer is an easy No. Layovers in Narita airport on the way to the States never really counted. So this year I've decided to change things around a bit and made Japan as this year's spring destination. With Ramadan getting even earlier this year, I had only allocated a week for this trip - 3 nights in Osaka and the remaining 3 in Tokyo. Some friends had voiced out saying 7 days themselves may not be enough for the Kansai region. To me, it would suffice as an introduction to Japan. Well, I have to make it work 😉. At times you have to pay a visit to the capital city because that's the country's melting pot, right?
Anyhow, let's get back to the main agenda, the first post of the trip, shall we?
I had opted for a late evening outbound flight out so that I could maximize the day when I arrived in Osaka. The only problem with that - I was sooo sleepy that I had dozed off before having the dessert sent to me 😆. Even though it was for a mere 3 hours, I needed it because I'd have a full day ahead of me.
I believe that my late evening flight from KUL arrived in KIX just after 5 am in the morning. We had to be the first plane to arrive because the immigration hall was still empty. By the time I cleared immigration & customs and picked up my bag, it was already 5:40am. But I had to wait for a bit because the limited express Nankai train to Namba was only scheduled at 7.
Some 40 minutes later, we've arrived at Namba and I just needed to lug my bag for a short walk to Hotel Il Cuore. Since they informed me that check in was not until 3 pm, I stored my bags and left to explore the city.
My first stop was Osaka Castle. I had purchased the Osaka Amazing Pass (OAP) so the metro and the entrance fees to Osaka Castle and some other sites were taken care off.
Since I had time to spare and seeing that a ride on the Osaka-jo Gozabune Boat would only take up 20 minutes, I was up for it. The boat cruised in the Osaka Castle inner moat giving us another angle to view the Osaka Castle.
From the Osakajo pier, I hopped on the Aqualiner (Osaka Suijyo Bus) to and disembarked at Yodoyabashi.
From there, I took the metro to get to Tenjimbashisuji 6-chrome station and walked to the Museum of Housing and Living. The museum located at the top floors of a building has an actual replica of the Osaka town in the late Edo Period.
When I got there, it was night time with the full moon in sight. Soon after, it was daybreak. One could also rent kimono to walk around in the town. Besides that, there was a room with miniature models and a special exhibition of the household appliances throughout from the past several decades. For the latter, they didn't allow any pictures to be taken :P.
I got to know there was a nearby onsen that is covered in the OAP - Natural Hot Spring Naniwa no Yu. So I took the opportunity to take a bath and to experience an onsen. It was located at the top floor of a building with big PACINKO & SLOTS letters on outer walls. That somehow threw me off a bit. Apparently they have pipes that pump up natural hot spring 650m below the surface (if I didn't read the signboard wrongly at one of the pool).
I just needed to pay ¥150 for renting a small towel. It was quite an interesting experience I must say, especially when you have to disrobe and let everything else hang loose, pun intended 😀. Sure, it was awkward at first but once you take the first dip into the pool, you just relax and let it all soak in 😊. There was no photo evidence or any kind because cameras along with any clothing material were banned. Whatever happens in the onsen, stays in the onsen 😉.
After trying out all of the pools minus the plain hot water one, I headed to Umeda Sky Building to checkout the Kuchu Teien Observatory. At 170 meters, you'd get a 360 degree view of the surrounding area.
Some of the views...
Before heading back to the hotel to check myself in, I dropped by the Pokémon Center Osaka for a short visit just to see what kind of merchandise they had to offer. And they had a lot! And I read the Tokyo's shop is much bigger. That I have to see for myself
My room at Hotel Il Cuore:
In the evening, I had a halal ramen dinner at Ayam-Ya restaurant as recommended by a friend who had been recently. Then, I wandered around Dōtonbori and Shinsaibashi-suji shopping street. Lots of people around - tourist and Japanese alike. It was the weekend and the start of the Golden Week.
Part of Denden town:
At the end of the day, my Samsung Health app recorded some 32K steps. Woah, that has to be my PB!
Friends have asked if I've ever been to Japan. The answer is an easy No. Layovers in Narita airport on the way to the States never really counted. So this year I've decided to change things around a bit and made Japan as this year's spring destination. With Ramadan getting even earlier this year, I had only allocated a week for this trip - 3 nights in Osaka and the remaining 3 in Tokyo. Some friends had voiced out saying 7 days themselves may not be enough for the Kansai region. To me, it would suffice as an introduction to Japan. Well, I have to make it work 😉. At times you have to pay a visit to the capital city because that's the country's melting pot, right?
Anyhow, let's get back to the main agenda, the first post of the trip, shall we?
I had opted for a late evening outbound flight out so that I could maximize the day when I arrived in Osaka. The only problem with that - I was sooo sleepy that I had dozed off before having the dessert sent to me 😆. Even though it was for a mere 3 hours, I needed it because I'd have a full day ahead of me.
![]() |
| My bag was already full before the trip 😀 |
I believe that my late evening flight from KUL arrived in KIX just after 5 am in the morning. We had to be the first plane to arrive because the immigration hall was still empty. By the time I cleared immigration & customs and picked up my bag, it was already 5:40am. But I had to wait for a bit because the limited express Nankai train to Namba was only scheduled at 7.
![]() |
| Joining the Friday evening rush hour |
![]() |
| Let's stuff our face before the flight |
![]() |
| It's been awhile since my last time here. 2014 perhaps? |
![]() |
| Killing time with selfies after stuffing my face |
![]() |
| My sleeping corner :) |
![]() |
| A first for me to wear an additional shoulder strap |
![]() |
| Nighty night! |
![]() |
| Pretty interesting train! |
Some 40 minutes later, we've arrived at Namba and I just needed to lug my bag for a short walk to Hotel Il Cuore. Since they informed me that check in was not until 3 pm, I stored my bags and left to explore the city.
![]() |
| What had been covered today |
![]() |
| Morning: Osaka Castle, aqualiner, Museum of Housing and Living, onsen and Umeda Sky Building |
My first stop was Osaka Castle. I had purchased the Osaka Amazing Pass (OAP) so the metro and the entrance fees to Osaka Castle and some other sites were taken care off.
![]() |
| That's the Gozabune boat down there in the moat |
Since I had time to spare and seeing that a ride on the Osaka-jo Gozabune Boat would only take up 20 minutes, I was up for it. The boat cruised in the Osaka Castle inner moat giving us another angle to view the Osaka Castle.
![]() |
| Stumbled across this group of bird watchers while waiting for the next boat |
![]() |
| Nice shot! |
![]() |
| With fellow passengers |
![]() |
| We were handed out this flyer, but I couldn't seem to it 😛 |
From the Osakajo pier, I hopped on the Aqualiner (Osaka Suijyo Bus) to and disembarked at Yodoyabashi.
![]() |
| There seemed to be a concert of some sort at Osaka-jo Hall and the spectators were mostly girls |
![]() |
| Inside the aqualiner |
![]() |
| Arrived at Yodoyabashi |
From there, I took the metro to get to Tenjimbashisuji 6-chrome station and walked to the Museum of Housing and Living. The museum located at the top floors of a building has an actual replica of the Osaka town in the late Edo Period.
"Edo period, (1603–1867), the final period of traditional Japan, a time of internal peace, political stability, and economic growth under the shogunate (military dictatorship) founded by Tokugawa Ieyasu" - Wikipedia
When I got there, it was night time with the full moon in sight. Soon after, it was daybreak. One could also rent kimono to walk around in the town. Besides that, there was a room with miniature models and a special exhibition of the household appliances throughout from the past several decades. For the latter, they didn't allow any pictures to be taken :P.
![]() |
| Display sets in one of the shops |
![]() |
| The sun was up |
I got to know there was a nearby onsen that is covered in the OAP - Natural Hot Spring Naniwa no Yu. So I took the opportunity to take a bath and to experience an onsen. It was located at the top floor of a building with big PACINKO & SLOTS letters on outer walls. That somehow threw me off a bit. Apparently they have pipes that pump up natural hot spring 650m below the surface (if I didn't read the signboard wrongly at one of the pool).
I just needed to pay ¥150 for renting a small towel. It was quite an interesting experience I must say, especially when you have to disrobe and let everything else hang loose, pun intended 😀. Sure, it was awkward at first but once you take the first dip into the pool, you just relax and let it all soak in 😊. There was no photo evidence or any kind because cameras along with any clothing material were banned. Whatever happens in the onsen, stays in the onsen 😉.
After trying out all of the pools minus the plain hot water one, I headed to Umeda Sky Building to checkout the Kuchu Teien Observatory. At 170 meters, you'd get a 360 degree view of the surrounding area.
![]() |
| In the escalator |
Some of the views...
Before heading back to the hotel to check myself in, I dropped by the Pokémon Center Osaka for a short visit just to see what kind of merchandise they had to offer. And they had a lot! And I read the Tokyo's shop is much bigger. That I have to see for myself
![]() |
| The checkout line |
![]() |
| Every Pokemon you can think of |
In the evening, I had a halal ramen dinner at Ayam-Ya restaurant as recommended by a friend who had been recently. Then, I wandered around Dōtonbori and Shinsaibashi-suji shopping street. Lots of people around - tourist and Japanese alike. It was the weekend and the start of the Golden Week.
![]() |
| Ayam-Ya, Dōtonbori, Shinsaibashi-suji and HRC |
![]() |
| Ramen at Ayam-Ya Namba |
![]() |
| Heading towards Dotonbori |
![]() |
| Don Quixote ferris wheel... didn't ride on it |
![]() |
| Can't put a finger why the Glico sign is that famous. It's literally mentioned in every article on Osaka |
![]() |
| HRC Osaka |
![]() |
| Had to get me a pin :) |












































































Comments
Post a Comment