Expectation versus Reality

Hey guys, guess what. It's another covid-era posting 😀. 

I'm sure you have seen tons of those Expectation vs Reality pictures on the web. This is one of them, but through my own travel experience. I've been sitting on this far too long, but the thing is I don't have enough materials AND I was lazy. The latter is a trait that I have that I don't even have to polish 😄. Well for one thing, I have to search for the right "Expectation" pictures. I don't have mad skills to do that picture flip thing. Can blogger even do that?

I might add a few more if I manage to find them in my backup storage devices or if travel is permitted in the near future.

Do you guys have any more ideas? One friend had told me befoe that the Mannekin Pis deserves to be in the list. That I have to see for myself. Hahaha.

Paris

Mona Lisa

I'm not a museum buff. When I went to Louvre, I opted for the evening visit because it was the cheaper option 😁. It was helpful that the map that they handed out at Louvre showed the top spots in the museum. Obviously Mona Lisa is one of them.

Expectation

We all know how Mona Lisa's protect looks like. Here it is if anyone forgot

Obtained from:

Reality

This one wins hands down. Truth be told, I was not expecting it to be billboard size. But the fact that it is more than 2 meters away and behind the glass, it was kinda of ridiculous. It could even be a replica 😋.

[2011]

[2011]

[2011] You can't even take a picture from the front because of the glare, reflection and everything else


Eiffel Tower

Expectation

Ah, Paris. the City of Love and Romannce. And Eiffel Tower is like the symbol of love for people  around the world.


Obtained from:

Reality

Considering that it was built in 1887 (I googled it of course), and it still stands proudly and majestically to this day is amazing!

My friend warned me that it may be look ghetto-ish as I exit the subway and head to the Eiffel Tower. And it sure did! 😄. You'll find people selling stuff like keychains, knock-off bags, balloons, toys and what not. You know, those toys like the monkey is clapping while riding a bike and the propeller ones that you can shoot up high in the sky. And in the evening, they switch on the LED lights to lure kids even more. Of course, you have be wary of pickpockets, friendship band and other scams.

[2011] The queue for the elevator. I came back later in the evening and opted walk up the stairs for a couple stories and then got on the elevator.

[2011] Who wouldn't want to buy 10 or 15 of those small Eiffel Tower keychains for 1 Euro? I bought them from a guy who had worked in Malaysia before, so we even conversed in Malay 😁


Kyoto

Fushimi Inari

Expectation

Just you and the rows and rows of torii gates.

Obtained from:


Obtained from:

Reality

I was there during the Golden Week. Mostly my fault for not knowing about it when I booked my flights months before.

[2019]

[2019]

[2019] Besides the massive crowd, the guy in front of me was really tall.

[2019]

[2019] Okay, got one selfie in

[2019] You'd get a break in the crowd as you go further up the trail


Rome

Spanish Steps

Expectation

Empty steps that you're tempted to ride your Mini down the steps 😀


Obtained from:


Reality

[2004] I took the train from Turin with my colleagues. We spent a full day in Rome before taking a night train back to Turin 😄

[2011] Mi scusi, dove Piazza di Spagna? You can't even see the steps

[2011] Overlooking via dei Condotti, where they have the luxury retail stores


Trevi Fountain

Expectation


Obtained from:

Reality

[2011]

[2011] Clean up work after the morning after the marathon, they


Vatican Museum Staircase

Expectation

Obtained from:

Reality

I honestly did not know that this is a famous staircase. I just thought it seemed cool so I snapped a few pictures. 

[2011]


Colosseum

Expectation



Obtained from:

Reality

Okay, this is me pulling your leg. Obviously these were taken when I ran the Rome Marathon in 2011.
[2011]: Maratona di Roma (Rome Marathon)

[2011]: I survived my first marathon overseas :)


Amsterdam

I amsterdam Sign

When I was finding the perfect picture for this, I only found out that the I amsterdam sign has been removed from front of the Rijksmuseum way back in December 2018! More stories can be found here: Business Insider and Agencia EFE

Expectation


Obtained from:

Reality

[2011]

[2011]

[2015] You may not even noticed the sign because of the crowd size 😆

[2015]

[2015] It was empty at 10:30'ish at night 😃 


Florence

Duomo: Baptistery of St. John

Expectation


Reality
[2015]

Bologna

Palazzo del Podesta

Expectation


Obtained from:

Reality

There are constant renovation and preservation works across Europe, so scaffoldings are the norm. But an entire building covered up like it's on a magic show?

[2015]

Yogyakarta

Taman Sari

Expectation


Obtained from:

Reality

[2020]

[2020]: Awesome 360-degree shot. 


London

Big Ben

Expectation

Obtained from:

[2011]


Reality

So where's Big Ben? I don't know what the time is right now.
[2018]




Comments