The last time I came to Kuala Terengganu (KT for short) was in 2008 - Ages if not eons ago. It was also my first time; a day tripper when we stayed in Cherating. My friend Ayi said it's time to revisit Terengganu because much has changed over the decade. For one, there's the Jambatan Angkat (Retok Congek), which was completed in mid 2019.
I took the 9am flight out of KLIA and arrived an hour later.
Good morning KLIA
Cakkk
The Kenyir Dam
That's the city alright.
Zooming in to get a glimpse of the drawbridge
Love the airport's architecture and style
We're not in Kansas anymore 😊
Once I landed in KT, Ayi kidnapped me and brought me to Besut, passing by Setiu. I told him that we could just stay in KT during my stay because the idea of taking me around Terengganu sounds like a commitment. But Ayi insisted.
Truth be told, my hometown in Melaka is about 100km away from KL and is roughly 1 hour and 20 minutes on a clear road. Anything farther than that is far in my book 😄.
Distance-wise, this is like going back to my hometown, which I frequent every fortnight. Time-wise, if there's a little bit of traffic 😅
Along the way, we made stops at some of the beautiful beaches that Setiu and Besut have to offer.
Living on the west coast, we are only confined to the waters of the Straits of Melaka. But here in Terengganu, you are offered endless beaches and vast waters of the South China Sea. You could drive up to any beach, set up a tent or hammock, lay down your picnic basket on the mat, play by the water, or what ever or how ever you please.
The only downside is the trash - be it the washed up ones or the ones that were left behind by the beachgoers. The local authorities can't just be ones to take up the responsibilities. Please take your trash with you. Okay, enough babbling or a PSA. Coming back to the matter in hand... 😁
Based on my recollection and with the help of Google timeline, on the way to Besut we stopped by at Pantai Penarik and Tembila. We had to skip Setiu Wetlands because it was closed to the public on Fridays (or at least before Friday prayers).
Let me see if I get this right. Redang on the left and Bidong on the right? Ayi, a little help please 😁
With my tourguide
Pantai Penarik
The biggest lagoon in Malaysia, I believe
Tembila
Not well dressed for the beach :D
Perhentian Islands in the backgroud. Hopefully the island trip would materialize this year!
When we arrived in Besut, Ayi drove us to the state border and then tracked down the border stone.
Proof that I had crossed the Kelantan state border
It was time to head back to Kuala Terengganu. But not before making stops at Masjid Ulul Albab and Masjid Lapan Kubah for more pictures! 😄
Masjid Ulul Albab
Let us see if I was keeping my ears peeled. There are several carving techniques, such as tebuk tembus atau tidak tembus, bersilat atau tidak bersilat. And the carving concepts - 'kemanusiaan' (there's a starting point and an ending), 'keagamaan' (there's a starting point but no end point) and 'ketuhanan' (no start or end / infinity or endless). So how did I score? 😆
The carving styles and concepts
Ayi was explaining the difference between janda berhias and janda ria
Masjid Lapan Kubah. Yes, you are not wrong if it does resemble the St Basil Cathedral in Moscow. You may read Astro Awani's article on it.
Masjid Lapan Kubah, Kampung Lapan Kotak
A much better angle
Looks like one of those miniature buildings from Taman Warisan KT
Nestled amongst the green paddy fields
We were kind of famished by the end of things. I already informed Ayi much much earlier that we may cross off any restaurants that had gone viral because that leads to huge crowd. He brought us instead to ICT Tok Mek for ikan celup tepung, which is by the sea and with a reasonable size of patrons. Taste-wise, it was superb. It was also the first time I ever tried (or heard of) ketuka (or tuka)- like a small ray.
Google is always listening. But it does have its benefits
Ketuka
We ordered sotong, ketuka, udang, ikan selayang and ketuka
Happy face! Hahaha
Just following the director of photogrophy's directions :D
When we arrived at KT, Ayi dropped me off at the hotel to check-in, settle down and get refreshed.
Crossing the Retok Congek
Views from my room at Paya Bunga Hotel
The view from my room includes the drawbridge. Yay!
He came back later that night to fetch me for dinner. We first went to Pulau Warisan to try our luck, but we came away empty handed. We later ended up at a restaurant in Pulau Duyung.
The food stalls at Pulau Warisan
That was just my first day in Terengganu. And already, we've covered the Kuala Terengganu (and Kuala Nerus), Setiu and Besut districts, thanks to Ayi. I would've been fine with the idea of just lazying around KT :D.
My Google Map timeline for the day
If you want to know more more on Terengganu, I could recommend Ganupedia, a site that Ayi has worked on religiously. He admits that it needs further updates but it's a good place to start.
Comments
Post a Comment