Indonesia Jatim 2025 (i): Surabaya

It's been a month since I'm back from my Jatim (Jawa Timur) trip, so I guess it's time to put the trip into some writings. Let's get the first post out first and see how it goesπŸ€ͺ. The thing about writing a blog is that you need to go through the tens and hundreds of pictures and pick just a handful. And in my case, I would also resize them. When there are videos, I have to upload them to Youtube to embed the link in the post. It's kind of a hassle even though it's kinda of once in a year thing πŸ˜›.

Anyhoo, I took advantage of the Merdeka Day public holiday and the free public holiday on the 15th and spent the whole week there.




Saturday, 13/9/2025

My usual go-to transportation to KLIA is the ERL train. However my flight was at 7 and the first ERL train would only be leaving KL Sentral at 5. So I had no choice but to opt for Grab. The quiet ride option is either a hit or a miss. It's way too early for me to have a chit chat πŸ’€. Thankfully, my Grab driver read my request so we only exchanged Hi and Bye 😊.

It was 4 in the morning at KLIA but it was already buzzing.

The flight was uneventful. Going thru the autogate and customs were a breeze since I had completed the AllIndonesia application beforehand. I had to wait for my friends to pick me up because they went to the wrong terminal - the domestic one 😸.

KUL - SUB


Since we had ample time before checking in at our hotel, we went to get lunch at Sate Kelopo Ondomohen Bu Asih and visited the Monumen Tugu Pahlawan.
Places that we managed to cover on that Saturday


Sate Kelopo


Sate with lontong.

Surabaya is called the City of Heroes (Kota Pahlawan). Monumen Tugu Pahlawan was built "to commemorate the events of 10 November 1945 at the Battle of Surabaya" (Wikipedia). Unfortunately the museum was closed

Original pic

Used Samsung AI to remove the plastic barrier 🀣



The 3 Amigos

(tanaman) yang menjulur-julur harus dibabat sampai habis dan yang menghalang-halangi jalan harus dipatahkan -- Google




Now where's the November 9th museum? 😁

We made a quick stop at Alun-Alun for some photo ops. 





Across from Alun-Alun, there's the Zangrandi ice cream shop. The fact that it started from 1930s is a statement itself.

Zangrandi



I didn't do much searching for Surabaya, Bromo, Malang and Batu before this trip, except for hotels. I just learned that the name Surabaya was derived from the legend of Suro (shark) and Boyo (crocodile).

Courtesy of Google AI


A quick stop at one of the Suro and Boyo statues in the city


We stayed at Platinum Hotel on Jalan Tunjungan. When we wanted to go out for dinner that night, we were surprised that the street came to life as compared when we arrived a couple of hours before. Traffic was hectic and there were loads of people.


One of the historical buildings on Jalan Tunjungan

Okay, just a short one for Surabaya. There are more Surabaya pictures on the return leg from Malang.

For Bromo, I have to upload some videos to Youtube as well since I believe they would show how majestic Bromo was.

Comments